Virtual PC and GPS Receivers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by awal, Aug 13, 2003.

1. awal macrumors member

I am interested in buying a GPS receiver. The problem is that none of them use Mac-compatible software (not to mention they all connect using serial cables, but that's another issue). I'm aware of one program for the Mac (GPSy) that enables one to use most GPS receivers with a Mac, but it's relatively expensive. The better plan seemed to be to buy Virtual PC and try to connect to the GPS with a USB adaptor. Does anyone have experience with the Mac and GPS units in general, and with running them through Virtual PC specifically?

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm in the same boat. I have Virtual PC with windows 2000 (VERY VERY SLOW) and I don't want to run my GPS through this. My other alternative seems to be GPSy (which runs on Mac OS 9??). I'd rather use a commercial solution anyways.

I currently have a GPS25PC gps unit which has a serial on the end and gets power through the lighter (good so far). I don't mind spending about 300 bucks (tops) to get this thing to work, I'm going on QUITE the road trip.

BEN

3. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

look here first before you assume that there are no mac gps devices.

4. sgarringer macrumors regular

um... that link doesnt really provide any information about any navigation software for OS X (which there isnt any). I have tried to use Virtual PC 6 with Windows 2000 and Microsoft Streets and Trips 2004 to connect to my GPS, but its horribly slow and constantly looses the GPS connection (I assume because of the speed). OS X and GPS is practically worthless, I am only glad I baught a GPS with an LCD screen which I can use to navigate.

EDIT:

Actually, I stand corrected. I did a search on Google and found this:
    http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=US&sec=3&ssec=0&prodid=716

It looks amaizing, although, has anyone used it? I am skeptical that this software actually exists.

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

6. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your quick reply. I didn't assume there were none, asking if anybody knew of one.

BEN

7. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Route 66 is an excellent product, and no, its not vaporware, but really here and availablee.

I have not used it in conjunction with a GPS, but as for Maps, and other features, its a breeze to use.In many ways it beats the heck out of MapQuest in terms of detail and trip planning options.

8. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

As great as Route 66 may look, it's still a long ways behind alot of the GPA programs for PC's :(. I really wish there was a better alternative out there, but I might end up using it anyways.

BEN

9. sgarringer macrumors regular

OPEN your eyes and look at that link you provided me. Do you see one nagivation progam in there? Who the hell cares about updating waypoints and plotting 3d crap from memory? I didnt buy my GPS receiver for that stuff. The question was is there NAVAGATION software, and on versiontracker, there is not. I didnt think i'd have to show you the way to that!

EDIT: before you get all up on my **** about GPSNav, look at the reviews for that tird. I want to type in where I want to go and have it give me directions there, not just overlay a map. ****, I can look at a map!

10. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20362

11. sgarringer macrumors regular

12. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

heck just get one of theses

preloaded maps

that model has the maps preloaded so you don't have to worry about adding new maps in all the time or finding them

13. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Whoa, when I dug this thread up from the dead I didn't want to start a big argument like what's going on right now. Thank you mikey for all those links for GPS programs. Here is my opinion so far on what I've seen.

GPSNavX 2.16 - This program seems to be more oriented towards boat users. Doesn't really have navigation capabilities, but more "tracking" ability so you can see where you currently are and where you have been.

MacGPS Pro - This software looks promising, but it WAY too complex to use while I'm driving. I'm going on a 3000 mile drive (yes, you read that correctly) and after the first 500 I just want my screen to show the road, information and essential "GPS Navagtion" stuff. All that information is just too much, the maps are too complex and just isn't right for my requirements. This looks like some amazing software for hiking and a co-pilot.

Outdoor Navigator - This is more meant for a PDA and while I do have one of those, it's the wrong one. I'd basically need to buy a new iPaq. At this point I'll just buy a real in car dedicated unit, mount it and be happy.

Garmin Street Pilot 2620 - Perfect. This is EXACTLY what I want. However, it doesn't work on my mac screen and basically defeats the purpose of using my computer in there at all. Especially at the pricy tag of 1600 bucks!

Route 66 - Let's face it. Route 66 is a mapping program that they added GPS capabilities to. It's not driving software per say yet, just what seems to be the best thing to it.

The street pilot stuff is amazing. If the prices were a little more reasonable I think everybody would have one of them in their cars. What I really like are programs like Co-Pilot GPS. It has an arrow on the screen for your next turn, where you are in a little map, speed, altitude and other useful or useless but fun information. With the arrow and distance to turn (and I'm pretty sure speaking ability too) it truly is a driving GPS program.

Now some other programs are even coming out with 3D driving directions with businesses and buildings in 3D on the maps. This might be a little excessive but I'd really like a co-pilot "esque" software solution. I love my mac, but don't tell me the cheapest option (I've said before, I have a GPS unit and I have an old copy of Co-Pilot for PC's) is to go buy an old laptop :(. I guess I use this machine for work, I can't expect toys like this all the time.

BEN

PS. Nobody take offense to what I've been saying here, it's my PERSONAL opinion and my PERSONAL needs. I bet a lot of people would agree with what I'm asking for, but to each their own.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

@Mikeyredk: Why did you help this moron? Some people simply don't deserve help if they can't go and look for themselves when you've gone to the trouble of looking for them. I feel sorry for stupid people as well, but seriously....why?

15. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

you help people regardless, and they will pay that kindness back.