Virtual PC and PC Networking

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by anastasis, Sep 21, 2002.

1. anastasis macrumors member

Apr 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    So I have a question for people who have experience with Virtual PC. I have a Titanium 800 and have Virtual PC loaded. I am looking into getting MCSE (I know, I know, it is for a job oppurtunity) and need a PC with Windows 2000 on it. If I load Windows2000 in Virtual PC, will I have everything I need to learn on it. Does a Windows network see it as a Windows machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

2. gbojim macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2002
    If you load Win2k under VPC it looks, behaves and smells just like any Wintel box on the network. I can't think of anything you need to do for MCSE that you cannot do in VPC.
  3. anastasis thread starter macrumors member

Apr 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
  4. gbojim macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2002
    I know for sure that all of the Active Directory stuff, DNS, DHCP, IIS and Exchange are fine.

The only thing I have not done is VPNs.
  5. Rajj macrumors 6502a

May 29, 2002
    32° 44' N 117° 10' W
    Any operating system will work, but they all wil be sloooooooooowwwwwww!!!!;)
  6. big macrumors 65816

Feb 20, 2002
    just tried it on a dual 1.2 ghz G4...very nice considering (never saw anything like it up until then)

you do have to remember anytime you emulate something it will always be slower than the original machine, because you are going through another couple of steps.

I wonder if Microsoft could market a "Windows MAC Edition", surely the code could be tweeked for emulation in VPC.

Man, I may just hit 500 tomorrow!
  7. chmorley macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2002
    Denver, CO

The very best site to research this sort of thing is MacWindows. It lists some info about VPC and other emulators, as well.

My experience with networking with VPC on my TiBook has been mixed. Much of that is probably because I was also using DAVE, which conflicts in some of those networking areas in which they overlap. However, when I uninstalled DAVE everything worked pretty well.

Yes, it will be slow, but Win2k may be better than the Win95-ME tree. Check out the benchmarks (which don't seem to have the Win2k info I recall...).

8. moby1 macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2002
    Sunny San Diego
    Re: Virtual PC and PC Networking

Yep, I'm doing the MCSE stuff on a Ti 800 right now.

Buy lots of RAM. I run 2000 AS with 320 MB +. Works pretty darned well on the 800. Of course VPC still runs much faster in OS 9 than X.

p.s. You can also "undo" or delete/replace with backup image any 2000 installations you might muck up. Nice, eh?

p.p.s It's also fun to see peoples' bewildered expressions when they see a Windows 2000 desktop on my 1280 x 854 Ti 800 : )