Virtual PC for Games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by D0ul0s98, Jul 16, 2004.

1. D0ul0s98 macrumors newbie

I just recently switched over to a mac, but i'm still using my PC for my gaming fix each day. I was curious how Virtual PC would work on the mac. If it allows PC software to run on a mac, could i then play my games on my mac?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes... v...e...r...y s...l...o...w...l...y.

If you have a G5, you'll need to wait for VPC 7, which should let you run games in a better way - just s...l...o...w...l...y.

3. D0ul0s98 thread starter macrumors newbie

well thank you

so it's basically not worth it then. not that i count framerates or anything, but your emphasis tells me it's not worth my time. Thanks much!

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

You can play games on Virtual PC, as long as they are atleast 6 years old.

5. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Virtual PC, has no Hardware support for video cards. So only games with Software renderers will work well. Half-Life for instance can use a software renderer. And seeing as Half-Life is the best game ever, thats all that matters right?

Right?

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

The rumormongers around are whispering that VPC7 will take advantage of the graphics card you have in your system and should make it run considerably faster. But I bet it will still be slow. :(

7. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I also heard that about VP7. That and the fact it will support the G5s.

If you don't know, the G5s lack a certain hardware function that can emulate a Pentium processor. This makes me belive that for everything that involves the CPU, will be even slower on a G5, Even with the graphics boost.

Oh well, I'll just go back to commanding my PC remotely on my Mac's screen with remote desktop. Or I would, If I had a PC that I could do that with, and I would if I actully had remote desktop. And I would if I had access to my mac.

I hate my life right now. It's currently restricted to a WinXP machine.

8. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

i ran DOOM on virtual pc 5, on a g3 400mhz, it ran alright..im guessing you want to run Counter Strike or Half Life on it, not yet...probably later in the future with VPC 7, and im guessing youll be needing a G5 for that...i hope it does do the job tho, cuz im thinking of getting a G5 myself :D :) :cool:

9. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

i'm praying for the VPC7 on G5 runs fine.... for I just wanna get rid of PC right away but only for the Games & Developping environment.....

PS: I'm web designer and recently I found out that the pages i made before looked ugly on Safari(And also ugly in IE5 under OS X)...i don't know why, but i know that i have to work on PC...

10. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Virtual PC not compatible

I've heard (and from my experience), that anything which uses DirectX will not run using Virtual PC. This rules out any new game, including Half-Life. The older DOS flavor such as doom and such, i have not tried, but they should work.

Just to clarify, I don't think anything will run well on VPC that utilizes graphics. VPC locks up on me all the time just using basic CAD crap.

11. monsquaz macrumors newbie

Half-Life can run on VPC. Slow as ass-molasses, but it runs. Just don't mess around with the graphics options within the game at all or it'll stop working, even if you set everything back to what it had been before you screwed around with them.
    Either way, though, you're better off waiting for VPC7.

12. m.r.m. macrumors regular

another problem with vpc7 and half-life/counterstrike, it´s of no help if the current version of cs (1.6) were to theoretically run, because cs source is coming out and that has a completely new game engine and is far more evolved than cs 1.6 . you won´t be able to play cs source and hardly anyone will still be playing 1.6, taking all the fun out of playing cs (1.6) online anyway.

13. brap macrumors 68000

Rollercoatser tycoon/2
    Transport Tycoon
    GTA
    GTA:London

...all run fine. Over and above these, I can't say. I assume Theme Park/Hospital probably runs well too :)

14. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

What is the issue with the G5 and emulation of a Pentium CPU?

15. applekid macrumors 68020

Perfect emulation, in general, is slow.

16. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Big-Endian vs. Small-Endian change from the G4, so they had to rewrite VPC7 for the G5, nothing really about issues emulating the Pentium (not that I heard of).

17. crusader247 macrumors newbie

VPC/CS

Does anyone know a success story of running CS on VPC? I see it dicussed all the time on forums but i've never heard anyone who has tried it say whether or not it worked.

18. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I remember someone mentioning that they got it to work in software graphics mode but the framerate was far too slow to be playable and there were numerous graphical errors. Not sure what hardware they were using.

19. m.r.m. macrumors regular

i remember someone stating he got about 3fps. forget about counterstrike on the mac (by whichever way). it´s my favourite game as well, but it´s not going to work properly. most agree that this won´t change even with vpc7, regardless of native graphic card support.

20. applekid macrumors 68020

My experience with Half-Life single player... One frame every three seconds. It's so playable. :rolleyes:

On a serious note:

I recently did see a Voodoo 5 for the Mac for the PCI slot for about 6 bucks starting price.

21. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

it might change, CS uses the q2 engine, so its pretty dated, but it might, im guessing youll have to run it at LOWEST resolutions with VPC 7, but with a G5 at least, i guess thats why they keep postponing VPC 7 all the time....

22. m.r.m. macrumors regular

in a couple of months no one will be playing cs 1.6 anymore. counterstrike source (running the new halflife 2 engine) is coming out, and i really wonder if it will be possible to run it with vpc7. running the game at low resolutions isn't too bad, because most play counterstrike at 640x480-1024x768. when the WON servers are completely shut down there will be no more cs 1.5 over the internet and i'm fairly certain cs 1.6 will die out fairly rapidly once cs source is out.

23. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

haha nah never, most people still play CS, when CS:Condition Zero came out, they were all excited, but when they realized that it sucked, no one played it, everyone said it was going to kill the original CS but it didnt, as far as CS on the HL2 engine, eh i might agree that some people will stop playing the original CS, but the ones who dont will probably still be playing and also most people play CS at LAN places, 2$ an hour, most places wont bother upgrading their video cards to run HL2 or DOOM3 for awhile, so alot of people wont play it right away

24. m.r.m. macrumors regular

i disagree completely, because the pro scene will be shifting to css (cs source). sk.swe (schroet kommando, best clan in the world) f.e. will be shifting since they are going to start practicing on the new models after cpl summer event in a couple of days. i´m sure the same applies to many more top clans like spixel, adrenaline, ownage, tsg, united 5, the titans etc. etc. gamers will follow suit. most people don´t play cs in lans, cs is the biggest online game. it gets played a lot in lans, but mainly on the net (public play outnumbers lan by a huge amount and then there are the online leagues as well). the difference in this case to cs:cz is, the game will not change (f.e. the whole giving orders to bots thing...) the maps are also basically the same (choke points and so on, just graphically improved). there will be new maps as well naturally. when major tournaments shift to the new game, cs 1.6. won´t exist much longer. there will def. still be people playing (just like those playing 1.5 at the moment), but the majority will shift. the only way this isn´t going to happen is the unlikely chance that weapon handling has gotten a lot worse and so on. however there are already people who have been invited to test it by valve and they all say it´s great. the weapon recoil hasn´t really changed for the worse and there is great hitbox improvement.

25. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

I really doubt, but really hope that counter strike can be played on a new g5 with VPC 7 (which is only coming out in october, damnit)