Virtual PC/Gaming Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by crazycamel01, Aug 9, 2004.

1. crazycamel01 macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2004
    My first mac, 12'' PB, is in the mail. I had a question:

If I use Virtual PC, can I install windows based programs or are all the programs native to the Virtual PC program.

I want to install Party Poker client and roam around the house with wireless. They only have a windows version. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Feb 6, 2004
    You can run any windows program. Almost. If the program requires Direct X, your SOL. But that's only from personal experience. I've used some openGL CAD programs and they run, but choppier than a chinese chef. If you'll be runnin some 2-d game in a window, i don't think you'll have any problems... especially if you've got the newest version of VPC
  3. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Yeah, basically when you run Virutal PC, it creates an emulated ("virtual") PC enviornment, which it displays in a separate window within your Mac OS X system.

Hint: if you haven't bought VPC yet, maybe wait until version 7 comes out, which hopefully will be pretty soon. Otherwise you'll have to shell out another hundred dollars or so to upgrade. VPC 7 will hopefully be a lot better speedwise than VPC 6, though who knows for sure, right?

More discussion of VPC speed and gaming here: