Virtual PC...Install Windows 2000?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Screamingbeaver, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Screamingbeaver macrumors member

Hello, I was wondering that if I buy Virtual PC with DOS, can I just install any retail version of Windows? Or, do I have to buy one of the Connectix OS packs?

I was thinkin' that if I had Virtual PC with DOS, I could use a retail version of Windows 2000 that I already have, and install.

Thanks for any advice,
    'Beaver

I'm doin' it just for fun. Trust me, I'd never use a Windows machine for anything I need to get done.

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

You are correct. They sell a bare bones VPC ($120?) you can use if you already own Windows. Hmm...I wonder if one could install a PC Linux distro on VPC--just for the hell of it.

3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

This is exactly what i did. Just buy VPC with dos, then i got win95 (speedy) and windows 2000 for actual compatibilty and productivness. But yes, win2k will install fine on the dos version of VPC. and i'm pretty sure you can install linux distro's for pc on VPC.

4. Screamingbeaver thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Awesome! Thanks guys. I'm ordering VPC tomorrow.

'Beaver

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

You can also 'install from CD' in the bottom thing in VPC 6 which is what I did, somehow I got no OS installed when it came *wtf*

6. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

Ive installed Linux (Suse, RedHat, Debian) and BSD on VPC. It is (in theory) a virtual PC so anything that would be able to beinstalled on a PC could be installed on VPC. There are a few issues with some OS's but all in all its pretty decent.