Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrr66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
I have always owned macs and currently have a Powerbook G4, OSX. I recently got a copy of VPC 5 with Windows 98 (a little old, but I only really need it for one or two programs that don't even need to be particularly fast). Occasionally, however, I do want to connect to the internet while working in Windows, usually at a time when I'm already connected (via dial-up, sadly) via the modem on my Mac. Everything I've read on Help screens seems to indicate that if I'm already online, and working in Windows, I need only click on Internet Explorer and it will automatically configure itself and open up. Instead, it can't connect, can't find the server. What should I do? I assume there's some settings I need to adjust, but I am basically completely ignorant in the ways of VPC and Windows, so I don't know what to do? Is there something I need to do in Windows, or on the Mac OS, or both?

thanks - jrr66

jrr66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
VPC....shared networking

I have shared networking selected already--according to all I've read that should do it, but it's not. I can survive, but suggestions are still welcome. Thanks.

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
I don't have a PowerBook, so I don't know about the modem. Is the modem a USB modem? If so, then only one of the 2 OS's can be using it at a time. I have VPC 6.0 with XP. Yes, I can use my Internet connection on both OS's simultaneously, but it is ethernet. However, I cannot print in XP to my USB printer without selecting the printer in the USB settings. Once I do, then the printer is no longer accessible to the Mac OS until I deselect it in XP or quit VPC altogether.

I don't know if you would be able to just select a checkbox like this or if you would have to disconnect and then reconnect from Windows within VPC.

I hope this helps.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
jrr66 said:
I have always owned macs and currently have a Powerbook G4, OSX. I recently got a copy of VPC 5 with Windows 98 (a little old, but I only really need it for one or two programs that don't even need to be particularly fast). Occasionally, however, I do want to connect to the internet while working in Windows, usually at a time when I'm already connected (via dial-up, sadly) via the modem on my Mac. Everything I've read on Help screens seems to indicate that if I'm already online, and working in Windows, I need only click on Internet Explorer and it will automatically configure itself and open up. Instead, it can't connect, can't find the server. What should I do? I assume there's some settings I need to adjust, but I am basically completely ignorant in the ways of VPC and Windows, so I don't know what to do? Is there something I need to do in Windows, or on the Mac OS, or both?

thanks - jrr66
Beginning with VPC 5, IIRC, or maybe is was VPC 4, VPC shared the Mac's IP address. However, you have to manually set your home page, mail servers, and what not for the Windows environment. Before you do that, however, is Active Desktop running? I would imagine that Active Desktop would consume just about all of the bandwidth that your dial-up connection gives you. Disable it. It is not clear which "servers" you can't get. Type something like "www.microsoft.com" in IE. If you reach the M$ web site, then you know that your IP address sharing is working fine. Set-up your servers within the Windows environment and you are on your way.

jrr66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
...VPC....

Active desktop is not running. I opened IE and typed http://www.microsoft.com with no luck. Page currently unavailable message. I feel like the shared networking isn't automatically setting the IP settings like it says it will, although I have no evidence for that and of course have no knowledge about how to fix that if that were the case.

I am using the dial up that comes with the computer, but also tried it at a friend's house, using cable modem. Same results either way.

Unfortunately, I am too inexperienced to even know what to do to "set up the home page manually" etc. Well, I know how to change the home page to Yahoo or whatever--at least on other browsers. I'm sure I could find it on IE, but I have a feeling that's not what you mean. I'm pretty sure I have to go in somewhere and fiddle with the settings, but haven't stumbled across the right thing yet.

Under controlpanel/network, there are 5 "network components" i can select. The properties for "TCP/IP Intel based Ethernet Controller" have a button for "obtain an IP address automatically," and that's selected, but that doesn't help. Clicking on "TCP/IP dial up adapter" and trying to see the properties gives a long message about clicking on connection icons somewhere, which of course aren't to be found where they tell me to look. I may be way off base anyway.

thanks again....
jrr

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jrr66 said:
Active desktop is not running. I opened IE and typed http://www.microsoft.com with no luck. Page currently unavailable message. I feel like the shared networking isn't automatically setting the IP settings like it says it will, although I have no evidence for that and of course have no knowledge about how to fix that if that were the case.

I am using the dial up that comes with the computer, but also tried it at a friend's house, using cable modem. Same results either way.

Unfortunately, I am too inexperienced to even know what to do to "set up the home page manually" etc. Well, I know how to change the home page to Yahoo or whatever--at least on other browsers. I'm sure I could find it on IE, but I have a feeling that's not what you mean. I'm pretty sure I have to go in somewhere and fiddle with the settings, but haven't stumbled across the right thing yet.

Under controlpanel/network, there are 5 "network components" i can select. The properties for "TCP/IP Intel based Ethernet Controller" have a button for "obtain an IP address automatically," and that's selected, but that doesn't help. Clicking on "TCP/IP dial up adapter" and trying to see the properties gives a long message about clicking on connection icons somewhere, which of course aren't to be found where they tell me to look. I may be way off base anyway.

thanks again....
jrr
You might need to select "virtual switch" as the networking method and establish a connection using the Windows connection utilities since VPC doesn't seem to be grabbing the Mac's connection properly. I've never used VPC 5 (only 6), so I may not be the best source of help. If you do use "virtual switch", make sure your Mac isn't using the modem when you connect to the internet inside the virtual PC, otherwise it won't work.

jrr66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
virtual switch, etc...

OK, I've selected virtual switch. Now I guess my problem is a basic one--how do I set up the Windows connection. I haven't found the right thing yet. One thing looked promising, but it tried to "detect my modem" and says it can't. I find Windows quite convoluted. On Mac, I just went to TCP/IP, typed in the number to dial, and that's it. Can't find that yet. One thing I came across in Help talked about "installing TCP IP" and then "binding" it to something else...followed by more steps after that. It CAN'T be that labor intensive. I am a Windows moron. Sadly, I suppose this has turned into a Windows question, rather than a Mac one.

One thing I'm still comfused about: (not that I can even access the internet from within VPC/Windows yet) but is it or is it not possible to be connected in Windows, then click over to the Mac OS and, say, open a browser there?

That's not entirely necessary, I'll settle for just being able to acess it in Windows. So now I set out to figure out how to do that. thanks for all the help.....jrr

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jrr66 said:
OK, I've selected virtual switch. Now I guess my problem is a basic one--how do I set up the Windows connection. I haven't found the right thing yet. One thing looked promising, but it tried to "detect my modem" and says it can't. I find Windows quite convoluted. On Mac, I just went to TCP/IP, typed in the number to dial, and that's it. Can't find that yet. One thing I came across in Help talked about "installing TCP IP" and then "binding" it to something else...followed by more steps after that. It CAN'T be that labor intensive. I am a Windows moron. Sadly, I suppose this has turned into a Windows question, rather than a Mac one.

One thing I'm still comfused about: (not that I can even access the internet from within VPC/Windows yet) but is it or is it not possible to be connected in Windows, then click over to the Mac OS and, say, open a browser there?

That's not entirely necessary, I'll settle for just being able to acess it in Windows. So now I set out to figure out how to do that. thanks for all the help.....jrr
You need to use Windows 98's Dial-Up Networking tool to create a connection "profile" first. Then Windows uses that information when it needs to connect to the Internet. I'm completely baffled as to why your copy of Virtual PC won't grab the Mac's internet connection under shared networking, which VPC 5 and later are supposed to do automatically. :confused: It has been a while since I last used Windows 98 with a dial-up connection, so I'm somewhat hazy on the specifics.

jrr66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
aha! (?)

I've just now seen something that might mean something. My mac was already connected to the internet. While fiddling around with Windows/VPC, I had "shared networking" selected. IE still doesn't connect to anything. Then...up popped a Windows Update screen (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com etc etc etc.) It scanned my computer for updated files I need to download. Just to see if it worked, I clicked one of them, and the download appeared to begin.

I think this gets at what someone earlier posted to me. I DID try to go to http://www.microsoft.com, and it didn't work, but I think this clearly indicates that the VPC/Windows IS grabbing on to the Mac connection. So this brings me back to the earlier advice to, once I know that you know my "IP address sharing is working fine. Set-up your servers within the Windows environment and you are on your way."

Of course, I don't really know how to do that, but it gives me something specific to search for. Strange that even http://www.microsoft.com couldn't connect.

thanks again
jrr

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jrr66 said:
I've just now seen something that might mean something. My mac was already connected to the internet. While fiddling around with Windows/VPC, I had "shared networking" selected. IE still doesn't connect to anything. Then...up popped a Windows Update screen (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com etc etc etc.) It scanned my computer for updated files I need to download. Just to see if it worked, I clicked one of them, and the download appeared to begin.

I think this gets at what someone earlier posted to me. I DID try to go to http://www.microsoft.com, and it didn't work, but I think this clearly indicates that the VPC/Windows IS grabbing on to the Mac connection. So this brings me back to the earlier advice to, once I know that you know my "IP address sharing is working fine. Set-up your servers within the Windows environment and you are on your way."

Of course, I don't really know how to do that, but it gives me something specific to search for. Strange that even http://www.microsoft.com couldn't connect.

thanks again
jrr
Maybe it's a Windows issue, and you need to tell Dial-Up Networking how you're connecting so that it can latch on to the Mac's connection and work as expected? I suspect the fault is with Windows, not VPC, at this point. I found an article here that might help you. You want to use the default TCP/IP settings.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I normally use my cable modem so I don't have direct experience here. But if I had to guess, I'd guess you should go to Internet Options and choose "I connect to the internet via a LAN".

BTW is in Win98 or Win98SE? If it's the first one, your settings may be different than mine (I have VPC with Win98SE).

If this doesn't get resolved with the current suggestions everyone has made, I'll give it a try dialing in to the university modem pool.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
jrr66 said:

thanks again
jrr
I am currently away from my Windows computers and from my Mac with VPC. However, your copy of VPC is working properly. I gather that you have not used Windows before because you enter the URLs for your mail servers and home page just like you would on a hardware PC. Browse around your Control Panels folder until you find something that looks like "Internet" or "networking" or something like that. You should be able to guess the rest.

jrr66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Success

Thanks for all your help, I finally cracked it. Sadly, the solution was painfully simple. As someone earlier suggested, I changed the home webpage. I don't understand why it couldn't connect to the current homepage, but now that it's yahoo, it works. I had tried this earlier, and it failed, but I think that was because I changed the home page in the wrong place. I found a completely DIFFERENT place on IE to change it, and this time it stuck. And now it works. Annoyingly easy. Luckily for all of you, that brings an end to this thread. Thanks again jrr

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jrr66 said:
Thanks for all your help, I finally cracked it. Sadly, the solution was painfully simple. As someone earlier suggested, I changed the home webpage. I don't understand why it couldn't connect to the current homepage, but now that it's yahoo, it works. I had tried this earlier, and it failed, but I think that was because I changed the home page in the wrong place. I found a completely DIFFERENT place on IE to change it, and this time it stuck. And now it works. Annoyingly easy. Luckily for all of you, that brings an end to this thread. Thanks again jrr

Wait...so now that your homepage is yahoo.com, can you connect to microsoft.com, or does VPC have some kind of setting that blocks this website (like a spam blocker)? :D

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mkrishnan said:
Wait...so now that your homepage is yahoo.com, can you connect to microsoft.com, or does VPC have some kind of setting that blocks this website (like a spam blocker)? :D
Oh, don't be silly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.