Virtual PC: It Could Change Mac-Gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sol, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

After Microsoft releases the next service pack for Windows XP we Mac users will get Virtual PC 7. This update will reportedly feature G5 compatibility and graphics hardware acceleration. If performance is good enough to play two-year old PC games this could affect the Mac games market. Ports would have to be based on new games because the older PC titles could be emulated with Virtual PC. Of course not everyone will buy a G5 and this software but two years from now publishers would be a lot more particular about what games they make OS X native. The only old-game ports that get made would be targeted at people who do not have Virtual PC.

I think that most Mac-gamers will buy this software if performance is as good as promised. Personally I would want it so that I could play all the budget titles that are sold in games-stores, like Half Life.

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

one can always dream can't they? if we ever see a service pack two *har har* i can already see vpc7 catching a few delays as well. if they do support direct x i will be amazed. Even being able to play TODAY'S pc games at low settings woud be amazing! i'd buy for sure. then again, i'd probably be able to build a gaming rig for 1/4 the price and 4x the performance...but it'd still have that pos windows... :mad:

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Microsoft have sent what they say is the final version of SP2 to computer manufacturers (source). I don't know whether the Virtual PC team is considered to be a computer manufacturer, but if they are then Virtual PC shouldn't be too far away.

I believe that the bugs in SP2 are due to the upgrade process, ie. a fresh install works fine. Therefore it makes sense for manufacturers to have it already.

4. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

I do not think that an emulator could handle new games, even at low settings. Hardware will always be faster but I for one would not want to invest in a PC for games; for the same money I could buy all the GameCube games that I would ever want and have time to play.

5. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

well, thats virtually impossible, becuase first, Microsoft wont be realsing the next "version" of windows xp, cuz there wont be, itll be called LONG HORN, which will "compete" with mac os x, and thats due out until 2006, so you are wrong my fat headed friend lol :p but you can always dream...and i can always be wrong right? haha well lets just hope you are right and that MS finally released VPC 7 in the near future

6. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

ya but have you ever compared the games available for gamecube to the games available for a pc? unfortunately, metroid and zelda can only be fun for so long...and mario...well i don't know what to say about him. i have an xbox and a ps2...and a grand total of 5 games. the quality of pc games is far superior to that of the the console market, which relies on market saturation to sell games, often losing money in the process until only the largest companies are left. pc games on the other hand are designed for a demanding, niche market. i agree it's a waste of money to build a pc just for gaming, but it's the best option available (unless microsoft designed a fully upgradeable or exchangeable xbox for cheap/rent).

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've read the original post 3 times now and can't see any reference to a 'new version' of Windows XP, only the service pack.

8. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

With luck, the hardware WILL be the one handling it - http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/05/20040513060940.shtml

And I agree totally with not spending X amount of dollars on a gaming machine that'll be through in a couple years. I just saw an ad at a friend's house from Dell with their XPS gaming machine... it was like $4000... anyone who has $4000 to spend on a machine to PLAY GAMES, has WAY too much money.

9. blogo macrumors 6502

You can download Windows XP SP2 Beta from the Microsoft site.

10. tliptak macrumors regular

I find that funny as many of the best selling PC games started out as console games and a lot of the good PC games have made it to xbox ect.

11. applekid macrumors 68020

You're dreaming if you think you'll see graphics acceleration.

I've talked to a beta tester of VPC and he basically said don't hold your breath.

That's quite a bold opinion.

12. supergod macrumors 6502

Whether or not I'll be playing counterstrike on my G5, at least now I'll be able to run all the emulators that aren't G5 compatible. I'm so sick of not being able to emulate PSX or Dreamcast, two systems which I owned and loved the games for but had to sell.

13. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I don't think he understood the difference

14. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Since when did market penetration become an argument for quality by the Macintosh community? ;)

While I'm not taking the side of the guy you replied to, I'm going to take two examples off the top of my head and have you tell me what you think.

Unreal Tournament, great, wide spread, fun, and popular game for the PC. Ported to consoles because it did so well on the PC...Did it do well on consoles? was it a quality game?

Halo for xBox, amazing, fun, popular quality game. Ported to PC because it did so well on the xBox. Was it a popular quality hit title for the PC?

There are examples I'm sure you can find to support what you said, but in general any time you "port" a game, it isn't as good as the first due to the quality of the port, and that unless you release them at the same time the port is bound to be at least a little bit "out-dated" by the time it hits. Plus, game designers design games for a system that sometimes don't "port" very well.

Aside from Halo- I'd rather play Computer games, on a computer, for the rest of my life, than have a console, and play console games for the rest of my life. But that's just me...

Tyler

15. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Microsoft has released some information about VPC 7 on their website:

www.microsoft.com/mac

They didn't mention anything specifically, but they did say something about improved graphics performance...

JOD8FY

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Anything would be an improvement... :p

17. macsrus macrumors 6502

I agree....
    But sadly the best performance one can hope for is poor at best...
    Virtual PC will never run games on a MAC at any acceptable level for a GAMER...

One can debate whether or not High end games like DOOM 3 would run better on the PC or MAC....

But there is no debate as to whether they will run even decently under Virtual PC... cause they wont and never will...

I use virtual PC myself.. Version 6.1.. and I guess I'll upgrade... although I'll hate to 'cause it still will stink....

18. Declan macrumors member

If the new VPC will access 3D graphic cards directly, as its rumored too, then theirs no reason why it shouldn't play games well..

19. macsrus macrumors 6502

Its not just the graphics cards... The overall processing power isnt good enuff due to the emulation...

If you pay attention to video card benchmarks by an of the hardware sites on the web... You will find that fast vide cards quickly get limited by the processing power of the CPU...

And emulating a x86 on the 2 ghz G5 gives about the performance of a 300 to 400 mhz P2 regardless of the better Graphics card...
    Not what id call an decent gaming machine.

20. Golem macrumors 6502

Wrong. I have brought PC games, I have played them and completed them under virtual PC.

Never say Never.

Just because I was playing Turn based strategy games and not a fps does not make me any less a gamer.

21. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

Decent gaming machine

300 MHz Pentium 2 is not a bad platform to play budget PC games. I agree that CPU emulation will never be fast enough to play the latest games but older titles would run well enough. I do not think that a frame rate higher than 30 per second is needed to play a game like Half-Life.

A 'decent gaming machine' does not have to have the latest and greatest hardware at all times. I play my games on a dual 800 MHz PowerMac with a 32MB graphics card and I do not feel less of a gamer than the guy who has the latest Windows PC with an 8X AGP card. The games that I enjoy playing (AVP, AVP2, Undying & Giants to name a few) run well on my computer.

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have played Final Fantasy 7 under VPC (high-end G4 under OS 9) and it worked fine, so I agree with you. FF8 on the other hand...

23. macsrus macrumors 6502

Whatever....

Well the real sad part of this debate is... that Virtual PC 7 for the MAC will cost over 250 dollars US....
    And You could buy a 400 dollar PC that would blow away any performance that could be had by Virtual PC on any MAC platform....

Lets face it... The MAC isnt really a gaming platform....
    Neither is Linux...
    That doesnt mean that they are any less desirable as computing Platforms...
    They just arent good gaming ones
    That being said the few titles that are native Mac titles do run well...
    Sadly there are not many though...

24. macsrus macrumors 6502

Oh my

You dont really consider any of the Final Fantacy games worth the time to play do u?
    I personally have never seen a lamer game series than FF... except maybe
    The MYST--- Riven series...

I would rather be jabbed in the eye with a dull stick than play either of em

25. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

Not so sad

It is not sad at all. Virtual PC will let us utilise our Mac hardware to run a few old PC games. If you want to feel sad for someone then it should be Intel, whose processors become redundant in this situation.

As for spending $400 on a PC just to play games, I find that to be a waste of money. Buy yourself a console instead and all the software you could have time to play.