Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

excavator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
I am both new to computers and Mac. I am confused about the best way to use Virtual PC7 in my situation. Which is: I am going back to college in the fall after 30 yrs. in construction to work towards an accounting degree. I will need to use Access and Office 2007 throughout my studies. I have a 2.1 GHz PowerPC G5, 700MHz, 2.5 GB Ram, 250 GB hard drive.

The question is - What is the best approach to using Access and Office 2007?

Example 1: Use Virtual PC with XP Professional (or bought separately) and Office Professional 2007 which includes Access?

Example 2: Install Office 2008 for Mac (which does not include Access) when it comes out and use Virtual PC7 with stand alone Access 2007?

Example 3: Buy a separate PC to run Office Professional 2007?

Any advise will be appreciated.

Excavator

Vinnie_vw

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
the Netherlands
I think you'll probably want to minimise VPC-use as it's dreadfully slow. You can try scenario 2, because Office 2008 won't be long in the waiting. If you're gonna buy another computer, maybe better to sell the one you own (better now than later) and get a MacIntel, which will run all these apps very well.

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
The question is - What is the best approach to using Access and Office 2007?

If you're only going to use Access and Office 2007, I suppose you could just buy a really cheap laptop (600USD) or desktop (300-400USD). If you're ready to take the plunge tho, you can get an Intel Mac instead...

Virtual PC is ok if you don't try to use it for too long. Since you're getting a degree in accounting, that sounds like you'll be using those pieces of windows software quite a great deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.