virtual pc on 12in powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by raiderz182, Dec 7, 2003.

1. raiderz182 macrumors regular

hey has anyone used virtual pc 6.1 for the new 12in powerbook?
    does it run smoothly on yours? do you think it'll run smoothly on 256mb?
    and also, do you think that installing virtual pc and then running pc games on it will be fast enough? that's my worry that it will be very very slow

2. leet1 macrumors 6502

Re: virtual pc on 12in powerbook

You won't be able to play PC games with it.

3. raiderz182 thread starter macrumors regular

bah thats what i thought, but my friend claimed that he got half life working

4. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Well I've got it on my new 1.25ghz 15" PB, and I doubt I could play games on it, much less with a 12" PB.

VPC is by no means *fast*. I've also got it on my DP G4 PowerMac; even on there it's pretty pathetic, and that thing is loaded with 1.25gb of RAM and everything. Even on that thing, I'd imagine games would be pretty sluggish.

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I've got VPC running on my 12in 867 and it works alright. It dependso nwht your doing. I had to do projects for a CS class in excel and the mac version didn't quite have the same menus so I got vpc with excel. If you have vpc by itself and full screen it will warmup a little bit and run at a tolerable rate. I got Win2k pro installed so its a liter OS and I would say its tolerable for doing essential work but will bog down your system .

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I tried to run Final Fantasy 7 (needs a P2/266) on a 1.25 GHz G4 today, and it was unbearably slow :(

I might try it in OS 9 one day, apparently VPC runs significantly faster in 9.

7. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I have an 867MHz 12"er running VPC 6.1 and Windows 2000. It works much better with 640MB RAM than with 256MB RAM, but there is no way you're gonna play any halfway recent PC games on VPC.

8. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

i've got rev a 12-inch Pb and using VPC is unbearably slow...

I couldn't imaging using it with 256 ram...
    i;ve got 640.

even using wordpad was slow

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Its kind of like a car on my 867 with 256mb of ram. I don't game with it because that would be dumb but for basic excel and word type stuff it can get the job done.

10. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i use VPC 6 to run Visual Studio.net if i'm not at home on my Windows desktop. it's painful, but doable. but Windows solitaire works fine! :D