Virtual PC on Powerbook 1400 - parallel port emulation

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andy_bernstein, Apr 26, 2003.

1. andy_bernstein macrumors newbie

Apr 26, 2003
    Santa Monica, CA

This is my first post on Mac Rumors and any help would be tremendously appreciated.

I've been an Apple user for five years but, before that, I was an heavy ATARI user. Anyway, I'm now programming again on my ATARI 130XE from 1985 and I'd like to use Virtual PC on my Powerbook 1400 (64 Megs - G3 400 Mhz) to run SIO2PC (which is a virtual disk drive / hard drive for the ATARI XL/XE).

Now, I do need a parallel port to send the code from Virtual PC to the ATARI (with a special cable). My question is: has anybody ever heard of a SERIAL to PARALLEL PORT cable for Legacy Macintosh ?

+ does Virtual PC emulates the parallel port itself ?

I just want to avoid purchasing a brand new PC to use my ATARI (or worst go back to the old tape player from the early eighties !).

Thanks so much !
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Re: Virtual PC on Powerbook 1400 - parallel port emulation

I'm confused. The SIO2PC is a serial device, not a parallel device. The PowerBook 1400 has a serial port. Get a DIN-8 to serial cable and replace one end with your 11-pin connector. This all seems very straight forward. That is not your problem. You have a maximum of 64 MB RAM and 2 GB HD. Your processor is a PPC 603e with a maximum clock speed of 166 MHz. Your problem is that your PB 1400 likely doesn't have the resources to run WinXP under VPC.:(
  3. andy_bernstein thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 26, 2003
    Santa Monica, CA
    G3 400

My Powerbook 1400 has the G3 400Mhz upgrade from Sonnet so I do believe there's enough CPU power but the 64 megs of memory may not be enough. True.

OK - I'll check the SIO2PC cable - I thought it was using the Parallel port. I'm gonna get an adapter.

If I can make it work, it would be wonderful to be able to program ATARI machine language in the Mac (through an emulator) and, then, thanks to virtual pc, upload the native machine code to the Atari 130XE to test it !!!

Thanks again !!!