virtual pc on powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by river_jetties, Jul 20, 2004.

1. river_jetties macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2004
    i'm thinking of getting a 15" powerbook with a gig of ram. I do web devevelopment and one of the sites I work for runs sql server. I would need to be able to use Enterprise Manager. Will this work in a virtual pc environment (ie networking, possible named pipes use)?

Also, what will the performance be like?

A final question? are both OS's able to access the same files? for example, say i have a php page that i created on the "Mac" OS, would I be able to access in a "windows" application?

2. PeterD42 macrumors member

Jul 5, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Hi. I don't know the answer to your question...yet :confused:
    I have a copy of Virtual PC6.1 and am awaiting a PB 15" (?any day now)
    May be able to answer your question then :)
  3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    Try going to and see if they have the answer to your question on their VPC page. Take a look at the product tour. I think the answer is yes...

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    How about web-based administration?

Microsoft does not own the internet. There are no good reasons to have to use their products to things that are based on universal standards. For every Microsoft "solution" there are 10 ways to do the same thing better with other products. I know MS server is out there and I know the tricks MS plays on people to get them to use it but when you get a chance to move away from MS you ought to do it for the health of the net.
  5. volfreak macrumors member

Jan 4, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Have a 15" PB and run VPC

Just got a new PBG4 1.5G with 1GB RAM. Running VPC 7 beta with XP Pro.

Performance of Windows apps is pretty decent. In some cases better than Remote Desktop Connection. I tried installing Crystal Decisions (new Crystal Reports) and it installed a version of SQLServer. Crystal was a dog with lots of issues but SQLServer seemed okay. It is kind of slow but is usable.

It may be that getting more RAM and allocating more to VPC may help. SQLServer is a RAM hog. I haven't done any performance tuning but most apps seem to run best when VPC has 256MB RAM allocated.

Not sure how Win2K server or WinServer 2003 would perform in VPC but they may give better performance with SQLServer than XP might.

Hope this helps.
  6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    To ANSWER your question: You should be able to run Enterprise Manager just fine. Virtual PC has several networking options to allow your "PC" to use your Mac's network connection.

The performance is not that great (read: slow), but usable. I recommend allowing Virtual PC to use 256MB of RAM over 512MB... It actually became slower when I gave it half of my RAM. I use web browsers and stuff to do usability and cross-platform testing of websites.

Lastly, you can share files from the Mac to the "PC", and they show up like network drives on the "PC". Also, you can access your Mac via http to access php pages properly if you have it set up right, but I can't vouch for the other way around, as I've never tried it.

Hope that helps,
    Lee Tom
  7. discoforce macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    Vermont, USA
    As another possible solution: Could you use remote desktop to connect to a PC on your network?

Assuming you've got a fast connection, and for your work it sounds like you do, remote desktop is a lot faster than an emulator.

I know next to nothing about the nuts and bolts, but I'm using my Powerbook 1.25Ghz w/ 1 Gig of ram at work. I wasn't impressed with an earlier version of VPC (Connectix), but remote desktop is <i>very</i> fast.

Plus it's free (provided you've got another computer to connect to)