Virtual PC on Powermac G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pooie, Nov 28, 2006.

1. pooie macrumors newbie

I have a question and am new to the forum so please forgive me if this is already answered somewhere on here.

I am looking to get a virtual PC program for my Mac OSX G4, but don't know which program it is best to get and also would I be able to play PC games on my mac using Virtual PC?

I am looking at buying some discs off of eBay and want to make sure before I buy any that they would work in Virtual PC.

Can anyone help me??

Thank you in advance

:confused:

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Don't bother..

You cannot play any modern games (anything that required 3d graphics) via VirtualPC. Microsoft VirtualPC is the best out there, and it sucks like you wouldn't believe. It's massively slow (it is an hardware emulator that emulates a Pentium 2, I believe), and totally not worth the money or effort unless you desperately need Windows for something simple.

3. pooie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply.

I am looking to play older games, eg Dizzy (the games dating from 1989 until 1993) which I originally played on the Atari ST (retro gaming - sad I am indeed).

Will these work from a copied disc on Virtual PC?

None of the games I want to play are in 3D.

Sorry to ask so many questions.:eek:

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I have no idea if they would work or not. But if they don't require 3d chances are good. But it'll still be super slow.

5. pooie thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok then, I might just take the plunge and get me the original console instead. Thankies.:rolleyes:

6. NJuul macrumors 6502

Ages ago I had VirtualPC 3 running on my 400 mhz Sawtooth under OS 9, with Windows 98. It actually ran quite fine, I was able to play starcraft with no problems.
    Point being, if you want to try, get an older version of VPC running win 98, as it is probably requires the least ressources. If possible, I suggest running it in OS 9, purely based on my own experience where VPC3 performed reasonably.

7. pooie thread starter macrumors newbie

8. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

If you only want to play old DOS games, then look into DOSBox. Its a DOS emulator used mostly for games, it runs under OSX, and its free! No need to spend hundreds on Virtual PC and then on a copy of windows if you don't need windows.