Virtual PC Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by danny_w, Mar 8, 2005.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I am looking to try Virtual PC 6 to tun some basic games under Windows 98 (they won't run on anything newer and require 256-color mode). If I get a copy of VPC by itself, will it install W98 using an upgrade disk (I have the original floppies needed for the upgrade). Do I need to make an image of the CD and/or floppies? I don't have a floppy on my mini, but can probably borrow one.Thanks!

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm pretty sure you'd need a full install of Windows, not an upgrade.

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If I understand correctly, he has a full install of Windows (on floppy) and an upgrade CD. How do you point the upgrade CD at the floppies when you don't have a floppy drive?

I am of course assuming that this copy of windows is not currently installed on any other computers or it is a violation of the EULA.

4. PeterD42 macrumors member

I'm not at home (where my VPC 6 is ) but form memory you can't make floppy images with VPC for Mac. You can do it with VPC for Windows (Tou can get a trial version from the Microsoft site) and then port these over to your Mac - assuming you have a Windows machine around.

5. Bear macrumors G3

The Windows 98 Upgrade CD is a full version that requires a previous version of windows be available. That version can be on media (CD or Floppy) instead of being installed when the upgrade CD does its checks.

6. Bear macrumors G3

Actually you can copy Floppy images with VirtualPC and if you have a USB floppy drive, you can access it directly from VirtualPC. So you don't need a Winblows box to do this.