Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
Hi all, I was just wondering what is the best version on windows to run on virtual PC 5.0? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I know you shouldn't play games on VPC, but I'm curious if Warlords 2 battle cry would run well on it? And know that's not the only reason I'm getting a windows OS. I've got a new MDD 867 maching with over 600 megs of ram. Again thanks for any advice.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I go with XP with no eye candy

I think XP runs really well and I am only on an SP 533 ("only" in comparison your machine but I think my 533 is fast :) )

As for the game... I have never played it but at low resolutions XP can be quite swift

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Everyone seems to say different things on this topic! Its only in the last couple of weeks that I have heard people saying that XP is any good on VPC. Before, they used to say it was rubbish. I used to run Windows 2000 on my Dual 1Ghz with 512Mb assigned to VPC + to be honest, I thought the performance was terrible. I am sure it should have been quicker than it was! I have not tried XP (Fisher Price Set) yet.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron
Everyone seems to say different things on this topic! Its only in the last couple of weeks that I have heard people saying that XP is any good on VPC. Before, they used to say it was rubbish. I used to run Windows 2000 on my Dual 1Ghz with 512Mb assigned to VPC + to be honest, I thought the performance was terrible. I am sure it should have been quicker than it was! I have not tried XP (Fisher Price Set) yet.

I have to say that at first I did not think XP was all that much better at all.... it was SLIGHTLY faster than 2K but once that eye candy is out of the way it is all clean sailing. The truth of the matter is, though, that you really should try and demo it somewhere before you buy.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I have had Virtual PC since v.1 + so knew roughly what to expect. I still run VPC on an old 8600 + it is usable on that (running Win 95). So, when I got my new machine I expected it to be quite a bit faster than it actually is (running windows 98). Having said that, I happy, it does what I need it to do.

I do have one request! Where is the update for VPC?? It needs one at the moment.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I have had Virtual PC since v.1 + so knew roughly what to expect. I still run VPC on an old 8600 + it is usable on that (running Win 95). So, when I got my new machine I expected it to be quite a bit faster than it actually is (running windows 98). Having said that, I happy, it does what I need it to do.

I do have one request! Where is the update for VPC?? It needs one at the moment.

It needs more than 1
:)

I am still waiting for OpenGL support

yzeater

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
Originally posted by madamimadam

RRPs in US $ are:

DOS - $129
Win98 - $219
Win2K - $249
WinXP Home - $219
WinXP Pro - $249

Anywhere I can umm....one could possibly download it?

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by yzeater

Anywhere I can umm....one could possibly download it?

You can download the DOS version from http://www.connectix.com for the same cost as the physical version. ;) ;)

I dare not get into a conversation that could even touch on the topic of Warez on this forum but I would suggest you get/open Aqusition or Hotline.

I am lucky that we use Windows on the side here at work so we are all given a ligitimate copy of VPC to work on.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by madamimadam

It needs more than 1

I am still waiting for OpenGL support
It was Version 3 that had 3D support. If you are still using OS9, then maybe that would suit your needs.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002

It was Version 3 that had 3D support. If you are still using OS9, then maybe that would suit your needs.

Unfortunately not
:(

In another sense, though, I fell quite fortunate to be in X

davei

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2002
There is no support for 3D acceleration in VPC, so most modern Windows game will not work (i.e. almost anything that requires Direct X.) That being said, I remember playing WC2 on an old P90 notebook so it may work... but there's a Mac native version of it, so why use an emulator?

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by davei
There is no support for 3D acceleration in VPC, so most modern Windows game will not work (i.e. almost anything that requires Direct X.) That being said, I remember playing WC2 on an old P90 notebook so it may work... but there's a Mac native version of it, so why use an emulator?

If it was a long time ago it could have been on VCP around V3 where, as per Falleron, VCP had 3D support

Then again, does WC2 even NEED 3D support.... I thought it would work without but I have not exactly studied the specs recently

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.