Virtual PC Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iJon, Sep 1, 2004.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Well you all rarely see me asking a question but I am also the first to admit when I'm stumped. What I am trying to figure out is if I'm stumped or if what I am wanting to do is not possible. Here is the situation.

I have sold quite a few of my friends Macs for college. Are math department at school is pathetic. It is this windows only software that requires a system disk to operate, so you can sync scores with home, school, and servers and so forth.

Anyways the Finite book comes with a USB flash drive. I got my friend set up on Virtual PC. What I cannot get it to do is see the USB flashdrive as a Removable Media, say drive letter E. Now I cannot point this software to look anywhere else cause it's a piece of s***. It looks at the A: for a floppy and the USB port for the flash drive.

The closest I can get is using VPC additions and having the Flash drive mount as a network drive, letter Z.

Right now I have him on a less convenient solution, using a lacie floppy drive and a disk. If anyone knows a solution let me know. I don't use Virtual PC anymore, so my skills of the program have rubbed off. But after playing with it forever I realized that it couldn't be this hard.

Thanks for the info in advance.

iJon

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

So is your English department. :D

I know that VPC 6 does not support USB Flash Drives. VPC 7 might, maybe someone else knows. My only solution would be to use a CD-RW. Format it on the PC and use VPC to open it on the Mac. Hope this helps.

Good luck,
    JOD8FY

3. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

OHHH, haha. luckily i took it at the community college :). anyways the cd-rw thing won't work. this software won't even open unless it detects a floppy or a usb flash drive. someone at the uni developed this software, and i think i might go raise hell to him just to be an ass, we will have to wait and see.

iJon

4. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Hmmm... I guess we'll have to see what VPC 7 brings. It would be a shame to have to pay $100 just to get this stupid thing to work.... I have never used Flash drives, but could you format it to FAT32? That would be PC and Mac compatible.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY