Virtual Pc Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boxmetogo, Sep 26, 2004.

1. boxmetogo macrumors newbie

Hi I got my mac G4 Powerbook 1.5 ghz not too long ago, I just heard about this VirtualPc, So I got VPC6 I installed it and everything, Now to use it i have to install a Windows Operating System Correct? And if i do will this take up alot of hardrive space?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You must now install Windows. I don't have VPC installed at the moment, but its not that bad at harddrive space. I'm sure you have so much space, you won't even notice.

3. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Yeah, once you start using the Windows hard drive, it'll probably take up a few GB of space on your PowerBook's hard drive. I'm assuming you have 40 or 60 GB or so, so this shouldn't be a problem.

To install Windows, put your Windows CD into your CD drive, launch the Virtual OS you've set up in VPC (double-click it in the VPC OS list, assuming you've set it up), and it should automatically start reading from the CD. If for whatever perfectly legal reasons ;) you happen to be using an .iso file on your hard drive, you must first launch the OS in VPC, then at the bottom click on the picture of the CD, and say "capture CD image," select the image file, then probably you can just press any key.

4. boxmetogo thread starter macrumors newbie

eh kool! thanx, really appreciate the help. Im gonna be posting more on this thread cause i might run into some trouble.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

We'll do our best to answer whatever you have.

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

On my powerbook (see sig.) i feel that Win XP is running slow, but windows 98se runs great. I've heard that some are saying that Win2000 is speedier than win XP. Anyway VPC would never be a speed demon.

7. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Agreed, run Win98SE if at all possible. Also, I think Windows OSes before 2000 require way less RAM (2000 and XP are like OS X, the more the better), so if you only have 768 or 1 GB of RAM, you can just assign 256 or 384 to your Virtual PC without it being way slow like 2000/XP probably would be.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

On my dual g4 1ghz with 2gig ram, xp runs fine. One my g3 800mhzibook with 384 ram, 2000 is prefered.