Virtual PC questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gary King, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

First of all, I read on http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobuy.aspx?pid=sysreq that VPC for Mac is not working on Tiger yet? Is this true?

Also, what are the RECOMMENDED system requirements for VPC? Like, what do you guys think is an appropriate Mac to use the VPC on in order to at least make it USABLE and not making me stare at a screen, waiting for the mouse to move?

Thanks! :)

2. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

VPC does work under Tiger. What doesn't work is the Switched networking. The option makes it so your Mac and the Virtual System have their own IP address. Shared networking still works so the virtual system can still connect to the internet that way. (that is where the virtual system shares the IP address with your mac)

The Mac mini you have should run VPC fine. It is recommended that you run Windows 2000. 2000 has a lot less visual over head then XP and is said to be more stable. I run VPC on my system (see sig.) and I have done everything from write VB.Net programs to simulating electronic circuitry (very CPU intensive). Remember, VPC isn't going to run like your real PC. It is going to be a little slow. I ran a program called WCPUID which can tell the real-time cpu speed of a Windows system. It came back saying that the virtual system was running an a 300 MHz system.

As long as you don't push VPC very hard then you shouldn't have a problem.

3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Virtual PC 7 does run on Tiger. The only component that is non-functioning is virtual switch networking (in my limited understanding that is where VPC its own connection to the network, and can act as a server). Shared networking does work, which is where VPC shares the Mac's connection.

In terms of speed, one critical component is what application you are using. I use it for business and modeling applications that are non-graphics intensive, and while not 'speedy', they run acceptably. Graphics intensive applications don't run well). My lowest spec'd machine is a 1.25 G4 powerbook with 1.5 Gb of RAM, of which 512 is given to VPC when I am using it.

Edit: beaten to it. I can't believe I forgot the tip to use windows 2000! I hear XP runs ok if you shut all the extra crap off, however.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This question has been addressed numerous times on this and similar forums. VPC 7.01 works with Tiger. The Virtual Switch networking feature does not work, but Shared Networking works fine. For the vast majority of VPC users running Tiger, the Virtual Switch error message is more annoying than the actual incompatibility.

As for recommended system requirements, I would say no less than 1 GB RAM. Beyond that, get the fastest Mac you can afford. Many people recommend running Windows 2000 rather than Windows XP. If you twisted my arm, I would agree. However, once Windows is fully up and running, application response is acceptable.