Virtual PC trouble Please help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rickshaw, Feb 11, 2004.

1. rickshaw macrumors newbie

Can anyone help me? I just bought Virtual PC (not the version that comes bundled with windows) and am having alot of trouble installing Windows 2000 on it. I installed Virtual PC no problem. I then inserted a copy of windows 2000 and went to virtual PC list, started the PC then went to the drives menu - select capture floppy image and succesively loaded in CDBOOT1.IMG, CDBOOT2.IMG, CDBOOT3.IMG and CDBOOT4.IMG I then got a screen that says "Insert the CD labeled: Windows 2000 Professional CD into your CD-ROM drive. Press Enter when ready." I press enter, hear the CD-ROM drive start up, it momentarily flashes please wait and then I get the same insert CD message. Does any one have any idea what I am doing wrong? The only thing I can think of is that it is not recognizing the Windows 2000 disc because it is not the original. I am traveling now and will not have access to the original for a couple of weeks. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

did you do capture CD image instead? Or maybe its a CD problem.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Umm...

Pretty sure it's because you don't have the original cd...m$ is pretty stingy about that.

4. rickshaw thread starter macrumors newbie

I did choose capture floppy and had no trouble installing CDBOOT1.IMG to CDBOOT4.IMG. The problem comes after that.

Some one on another forum just tested using a copy of Windows with Virtual PC and had no trouble installing it. I am traveling now and will try the original windows CD when I get home but since using a copy has been successfully tested I think there must be some other problem. I have tried starting over and reinstalling Virtual PC but still have had no luck. Any other ideas?

5. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I didn't do a capture or anything like that on mine. I just inserted the CD, waited for the Mac to recognize it, then fired up the guest OS. It loaded straight from the CD.