Virtual PC wireless network problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gangst, Jan 20, 2006.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I've just installed Virtual PC and I'm having problems connecting to my wireless network to use the internet in Virtual PC. Could someone please tell me how to set up the network settings so Virtual PC can use the internet.

Thanks.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Windows in VPC should not try to connect to your wireless router. Your Mac should connect to the wireless router. Then in VPC turn on Network Sharing or Shared Network or something like that. Sorry, I don't have it in front of me right now, but I hope you get the idea. VPC will then be able to use the internet that OS X has.

3. belvdr macrumors 601

You can either use the Shared Networking (NAT) option or you can select your Airport card in the network settings panel.

VPC will use it as a standard NIC, not a wireless NIC, so it should grab an IP from your router/dhcp server just as usual.

EDIT: I should add that OS X will control connecting to a wireless network, so as long as it is connected, your VPC guest OS should get an IP. If OS X has issues connecting to an AP, then your guest OS will consider it to be a disconnected link.