Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Can you play PC games with virtual pc? I'm trying to decide between an ibook and a thinkpad and I'm leaning towards the thinkpad because there seems to be more widely available apps for a PC and besides I already have a mac mini. Can you play racing games and other pc games on a mac with virtual pc or do you have to have the mac specific version?

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
As far as I know you can run all Windows applications using Virtual PC, but you cannot play games because VPC will not support it as it would take up too much system memory.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There is also the *cough* speed issue...I don't think you'll be very happy playing Windows games on VPC on a PPC Mac.

But to be honest...I've heard the Thinkpad (my personal favorite notebook second to the iBook) is not the best laptop for gaming either... I love them to tears, but I don't play PC video games. If I play, I play console....

Heh...you could always get a PSP or DS or XBOX360 or somesuch plus an iBook! :eek:

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
jayeskreezy said:
Can you play PC games with virtual pc? I'm trying to decide between an ibook and a thinkpad and I'm leaning towards the thinkpad because there seems to be more widely available apps for a PC and besides I already have a mac mini. Can you play racing games and other pc games on a mac with virtual pc or do you have to have the mac specific version?
try WineX or some kind of emulator that does DirectX support. The short answer is that any game for Windows will not run well on Mac or any other platform unless there is a native port. That is one of the reasons why I love Blizzard Entertainment. Mac and PC together on one CD. I love it.

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
When you say racing games, that probably means modern, slick 3D racing games, and no, you can't play those.

You can play older games (games released in the 1990s) or simple games that don't require heavy 3D. I learned the hard way that VPC is not good for games. ;)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
wasimyaqoob said:
As far as I know you can run all Windows applications using Virtual PC, but you cannot play games because VPC will not support it as it would take up too much system memory.
It has nothing to do with system memory. VPC emulates everything, including hardware. A virtual video card cannot support directx.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
grapes911 said:
It has nothing to do with system memory. VPC emulates everything, including hardware. A virtual video card cannot support directx.

It could but it isn't programmed to do that. It actually wouldn't be so much different from the Direct3D libraries that some game developers are already using to port software from Windows to Mac OS X. Of course, the development cost might be high but Microsoft isn't going to allow anything to damage their stronghold on games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.