Virtual PC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Falleron, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Hi, I just got my PowerMac Dual 1Ghz!! However, I was wondering how much faster Virtual PC would run if I upped my RAM from 512 --> 768??

Thanks

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

i know it doesn't answer your question at all, but when are you going to get yourself a kewpie doll to go under your name?

3. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

From what I hav seen, VPC would benefit some from more memory. I hope you are talking about version 5 (there is already an update to it).

Why not go to 1GB instead? Add a single 512MB and leave one slot open for later.

*just RAM it on it*

5. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Yep, I am using version 5.0.1. My only problem with getting a 512Mb module is that I am a little skint after buying the Tower + LCD!!!

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I just checked on place, and they are selling a 512MB module, for your system, for about $140. That is actually less then I paid for the 512's when I picked them up a while back (over a year ago, before the prices tanked).

RAM is one of the cases where bigger, and more, is better. :D

7. blindman858 macrumors newbie

how much is ram now a days for the new macs?

I still have an imac 350mhz with 256 mb of ram lol. just curious at how much the mac memory will cost. And how fast is the system bus on dp g4 machine?

8. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

This is a good place to get RAM prices

http://www.crucial.com/

I will probably get a 256Mb memory module instead of the 512Mb. This will still leave 1 free slot for the future.

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Falleron, VPC loves memory, especially if you are running windows 2000 under it. I have two Macs, an iMac Flower Power, and a new iBook 600. I have 1GB of ram in the iMac, and 384 in the iBook. If you go with the 768, give the virtual machine 512 MB, and you will see a big difference. In fact it is Altivec aware, and supports dual processors, so you should have a zippy Virtual Machine.

Mine are fast, and I am on a G3 600 both on the iMac and the iBook. But to answer your question, yes, you will see a difference.

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Sure, if you want to take a few minutes to find it... and they are only selling CL3, PC133 512MB modules (slowest available) for the same as I can get a CL2 at www.mohawkmem.com (direct link is http://www.mohawkmem.com/store/merchant.ihtml?pid=10421&step=4). Listing at $139. They also have 256MB modules for $69 (http://www.mohawkmem.com/store/merchant.ihtml?pid=10423&step=4)

11. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

It make no difference because Apple uses CL3 (in the 1Ghz system anyway) + the system runs at the slowest speed. Therefore, getting CL2 is pointless unless you are getting it cheaper.

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

How about at the same price??? When I have the option to get something that is faster, I am more then willing to spend a few extra $$ to get it. I also know, from experience, that some of the slower memory has issues with Apple firmware updates.

When you get the best, you don't need to mess with the rest :D.