Virtual System 7 (or 9) on Intel OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeff303, Feb 2, 2007.

1. jeff303 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to get an old game (Total Annihilation Gold) running on my shiny MBP 17" C2D. I explored a few options but most of them seemed to require an OS 9 disc, which I do not have since I'm a new Mac user. However I noticed Apple released System 7.5.3 for free on their site (just google for it). But the format is 19 .part.bin files, which when extracted turn into:

System 7.5.3 01of19.smi
    System 7.5.3 02of19.part
    System 7.5.3 03of19.part
    ... and so on (all the rest are .part)

So, anyone have any idea how to make use of this? Ideally if I could just turn it into one image it would be great for trying in some virtualization software like Q. But I can't figure out how to do that - if I try to mount the first file, I get "not recognized" errors. Disk Utility does not seem to recognize them either.

Has anyone made/seen a nice packaged form for the System 7 image anywhere? Thanks.

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I tried using Q, and I have had zero luck trying to get classic Mac OS running, but if anyone finds a way, I'd love to know as well.

3. thecreativ1 macrumors member

Re:

I have an original System 7.5 disc. Do you want an image of it? I guess since Apple released it for free there'd be no harm in sharing it with you...

4. Pothedd macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have a nice new '09 MBP - OS X, of course.
    But I'm trying to play some old games.
    I have the 19 parts, but the first one fails to mount, says it isn't recognized.

Has ANYONE figured ANYTHING out about this?:confused:

i'm trying to use sheepshaver, but i can't get the .smi to combine all the parts like it's supposed to...

5. WatchSmart macrumors member

Pothead,

If you are using System 7, it might be best to try Basilisk II instead of SheepShaver. Here's a setup guide that will help you out:

http://www.macscene.net/wiki/index.php/Basilisk_II_Setup_Guide

Getting System 7 running in SheepShaver requires a lot of circumstances to be correct (ie, a specific ROM image). This isn't the case in Basilisk II which is much easier to use with System 7.

Make sure you have the most recent version of Basilisk II, which is not available on the official site:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5887

There is a bug in the older versions of Basilisk II and SheepShaver that might cause corruption in files that you transfer over from OS X.

If you must use SheepShaver, look for an OLD WORLD rom image. The New World rom image won't let you use System 7. And you can also check out the Basilisk II guide for some tips in manipulating the System 7 files in SheepShaver. Make sure to use the newest version of SheepShaver (released just two days ago!), which also is not available on the official site:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5911

There is a setup guide linked in that post.

Hope this helps!