Virtual Windows for PC Games on Jaguar?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacDuff, Nov 19, 2002.

1. MacDuff macrumors regular

Hey all you Manimacs,

Just ordered my TiBook w/Superdrive and ofcourse Jaguar comes with it. Does anyone have any pros or cons or ideas about using Virtual PC (or any other Windows os's) so I can play PC games? If there's a memory issue than that would be sad, but I got the upgrade to 1 Gig of Ram.... I dunno, maybe a ton of mac users are doing this and just missed the memo.

"Peter, did ya get that memo?" :D

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Virtual Windows for PC Games on Jaguar?

You will not be able to play games. Im not saying the just may run slow, they wont run at all. we talked about this on the forums a couple of months ago. If you go to device manager in windows under virtual pc and look at the graphics card you will be shocked. behold the geforce4 ti with 4mb of ram. j/k. its not a geforce 4 but virtual pc only allows 4mb or video memory.there is no way to change that. although some people were talking about some big hack with os 9 and virtual pc, seemed kindof hard though. i would just set aside maybe 400 dollars and build yourself a cheap amd machine since they are dirt cheap right now. thats the only advice i can give you. sorry man.

iJon

3. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Yeah, don't even think about playing games with Virtual PC. If simple PC programs crawl slow enough in VPC, imagine the impossibility of playing a FPS like CounterStrike. As another post noted, you might not even be able to play any games on VPC, let alone playing it well.

VPC is just an emulator designed for Macusers to use simple PC-only apps (mostly business related applications). It was never designed to be a PC replacement. If you are getting VPC to primarily play games, my simple advice is don't: take the +$400 you'll be spending on VPC and buy a low-end PC for gaming purposes.

4. MacDuff thread starter macrumors regular

Uh oh

Crap! And I just bought $500 worth of PC games for my Powerbook! (just kidding, heh) But that's all good to know. I'm sure I would have figured it out somehow, but you guys saved me some time. Is there any other PC emulator that can power-up to memory on its own? Maybe in the future....*In the year 2000.....!*(my tribute to Andy Richter)

But I'll stick to the mac games for now unless there's something else comes up.

5. tortus macrumors member

Virtual PC does not support the 3D

I looked into this last week. I wanted to run counterstrike on my new powermac in order to play with some chums of mine. I knew that a new version of Virtual PC was out, so I went looking for Virtual PC on the Net. My suspicions about 3D gaming were confrimed when I discovered that Virtual PC does not support 3D hardware acceleration (a must for modern games). You can use Virtual PC to play sprite based games and games with 256 bit graphics, but anything requiring modern hardware and graphics API's is out of the question.

Maybe they will get it right in the future. If you want to game, build a cheap PC or get a console. The future might be far away.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i've played simgolf on vpc, but that's as complex as i've gotten.. and even that runs dog slow..... ahh well, too fun to pass up if it is slow.

7. MacDuff thread starter macrumors regular

wishful thinking...

I wonder if they will or ever could create a more meaty PC emulator to utilize harcore PC games on the Mac. It could be sweet to have that option, maybe there are rumors spreading about it, or it's in development. So far I'm sure it's not a priority but it could win the PC gamers over from the blinded side to the way of truth. I feel as if I'm in The Matrix right now. ;)

8. Rags macrumors member

Re: wishful thinking...

WineX has been in development for over a year or so. Would be our best bet and since OS X is based on Unix, the port wouldn't be too difficult on the part pf the Transgaming guys for Mac binaries. That is, best bet for a Windows to Mac gaming experience. I'd rather have native games thank you.

Unreal Tournament 2003 is coming out on the Mac soon and hopefully Aspyr will release Battlefield 1942 since it's an EA game there seems to be good business between the companies. I'd also like to see Raven Shield when it comes out, might have a chance since it's based on UT2K3. hmm, I think I'll go dust off this old PC and give the demo a try :)