Virtualization: OSX 10.7 Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by wbyung, Apr 16, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I assume that the virtualization software namely Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion and Sun's VirtualBox would support OSX 10.7 Lion as the guest operating system.

But since there won't be OSX Lion Server, I would assume Apple has to open up virtualization of Lion Desktop.

Let's see how it goes.

2. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Unlikely.

3. macrumors 6502a

Your logic doesn't really make any sense... but I hope they do allow visualizing.

4. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

How do they do that?

;)

5. thread starter macrumors member

bump

6. macrumors 65816

I have not installed Parallels 6 yet since Wiping and Starting over w/ Lion.

Does Parallels 6 even work right now in Lion? Even if it does not support Lion's features, will it still install and run a vm?

7. macrumors 68020

How would you install Lion as a VM? You can't start with SL and upgrade, since SL doesn't support it.... I'm trying to wrap my head around this one. Maybe burn the recovery DVD to a DMG and then boot that in Parallels and then download from there?

8. macrumors 65816

To clairify what im asking. With Lion installed as my MacBook Pro OS, can I run parallels and a Windows VM? Or has parallels not yet been updated to run ON Lion.

Not asking if I can install Lion as a VM.

9. macrumors 65816

umm, not sure what you are asking but I would never upgrade SL to Lion anyway.

I have immediately extracted the Lion Disk Image, burned it to a CD and/or make a USB installer and do a clean install.

There is no need what so ever to do a SL -> Lion Upgrade.

So maybe to answer your question, I would install Lion as a VM by just installing it from Scratch from the disk image.

10. macrumors 68020

Mine works fine. Haven't tried 7 but XP was peppy as ever.

I upgraded two machines to Lion from SL. Worked fine, very easy. Clean install would be a real pain compared to upgrade, so why bother? Maybe if you haven't done one for a while, but I just did one a month or two ago when I got this machine, so no need for Lion.

11. macrumors 68020

Update: 7 works fine. Actually both seem faster than before, maybe just my imagination. Maybe it's just my SSD, but it took 10 seconds boot to login screen.

12. macrumors 65816

Thats good to know. Thx for the update.

I know Apple has streamlined the process for a in-place upgrade of an OS, but working in the IT field everyday of my life for the past 10 years, I have seen more bad than good come from an OS upgrade vice a clean install. And actually, I have probably saved more time backing everything up, formatting, clean installing the OS, and setting it up from scratch then dealing with whatever miscellaneous issues that may or may not arise from an upgrade. Perhaps its just my preference.

13. macrumors 68020

Windows definitely, Mac seems to handle upgrades well. I used to reformat all the time on Windows, but now with Mac, I don't re-install much, and even then, I pull all data, settings, etc in from TM.

14. macrumors demi-god

Hugh

I don't think you are answering the question right. He/She wants to know if they can VM Lion. Not only use a VM in Lion, but VM Lion. The current answer no.

Hugh

15. macrumors 68030

http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/

What do you mean there won't be OSX Lion Server??