virtualization reading/share the same files?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BFG, Nov 28, 2006.

1. BFG macrumors member

It is possible to use Apple bootcamp and some sort of virtualization software to read and write to the same area?

So if i need to use windows in OSX i could, but if i need more power boot in windows - whilst using the same files?

sorry if this has been asked before.

2. BFG thread starter macrumors member

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

The latest beta build (3036) of Parallels now allows this.

You install Windows via Boot Camp as normal, but you have to install a 'Parallels Boot Camp Tools' program once you've finished, then you can simply boot into OS X, run Parallels and create a new virtual machine (selecting 'Boot Camp' as the Virtual Hard Drive). This means you only need one copy of Windows installed, giving you the flexibility to run Windows via Parallels, and you can reboot into the same partition if you need full 3D support etc.

Good Luck

4. BFG thread starter macrumors member

5. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

That is a m a z i n g.

6. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

Note that if you are using a version of XP that requires activation (i.e., a retail or OEM version, rather than a corporate-licensed version) you will have to reactivate XP with Microsoft every time you switch from booting via Boot Camp to booting via Parallels. This problem has been discussed at length in the Parallels support forums.