Virtue Desktops alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rogersmj, Feb 23, 2007.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

If you use multiple desktops, what do you use and do you know of any viable alternatives to Virtue Desktops other than Desktop Manager (which is PPC, and I don't want to run stuff through Rosetta)? I like Virtue Desktops, but it's buggy and randomly quits on me a lot. It's also inconsistent in how it handles certain use cases of windows/apps being on other desktops. I haven't been able to find any alternatives.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Wait a few months until Spaces is available as part of Leopard?

3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

there is a universal version of desktop manager floating around out there - it's what I use, and works well for me

don't know of any other options (aside from spaces)

4. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Not exactly a solution. I kind of want to get stuff done now, not in a few months.

I found the UB version of Desktop Manager here. Seems to work well for switching desktops, but I haven't been able to get any existing windows to move to a different desktop. Neither the hot keys nor the operations menu does a damn thing when I tell it to move a window to a different desktop. That's kind of discouraging. Anyone else run into this problem?

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

virtual desktops is a derivation of desktop manager, as VD's author states, so my impression is DM probably will not continue by its original author anymore.

But, a link from you would be appreciated.

6. dstearns96 macrumors member

dstearns96

vd

i use virtuedesktops, but is no longer under development so I think that desktop manager will continue. leopard is expensive and is only a little bit better than tiger (that's what my mac came with).