Virus and Spyware on Macbook pro..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Laxer, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Laxer macrumors newbie

I just purchased a macbook pro, and I was curious if I should install and virius scan and or spy/adware removal programs as well. If so, can anyone reccommend any? thanks

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

not for Mac OS X (Tiger). if you install windows using Bootcamp, then yes. if not, then don't worry about viruses or spyware :)

3. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Exactally, and if you do install Windows then I recommend Norton.

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

All 114,000+ viruses written for PCs with Windows cannot infect a Mac running Mac OS X. :)

5. regan2 macrumors member

not exactly true.

with mac's being marketed as capable windows-running machines, the value of a good anti-virus has risen. if the OP is going to run bootcamp of parallels, then a good virus scanner is needed because of the inherent problem of viruses and XP. while the virus couldn't penetrate os x, it could easily mess things up, file wise, from the windows arena. probably a good idea to run a scanner on both os x and windows if you plan on going that route.

6. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

and there is no need to run windows... thats why you are getting a mac! so dont even worry about it :D

7. T-Stex macrumors 6502

If you're going to run Windows, I'd recommend using Avast Home Edition. It's a free anti-virus software, and it works as well as Norton. As far as an anti-spyware program, I'd just use Microsoft's Defender. As far as anti-virus software on the Mac side of things, I wouldn't worry about it. I think buying any anti-virus software for OS X is just a waste of money.

8. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I'd say it also depends on what you're running windows for. If you needed windows for any application of business or home finances, anything where you store or send personal sensitive information about yourself, then yes, definitely get anti-virus software.

If you're just using windows to play games, I wouldn't bother spending money. Just turn on Windows firewall, and get a free anti-virus checker like AntiVir if you really wanted to.

As of yet, Macworld magazine advises that there are 4 prototype viruses for Mac OS X; meaning that they are pretty much concept only and are not propagating in the wild. Apple has already brought forward security updates that render them powerless. Compare this to 70,000 + windows viruses. You are virtually completely safe for now, don't bother with OS X anti-virus software or spyware detectors. They'll more than likely slow down and screw up your system, like Norton, which installs all over the place.

9. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Overall it's a waste to buy anti-spyware or anti-virus.

They don't protect from new threats, they bog down your computer while scanning for old ones, and who knows if the "disinfected" things really are?

You probably need a dedicated computer just to check for everything.

At least that's what it felt like sometimes, back when I was paranoid about that sort of stuff. :D

10. BDK1022 macrumors newbie

I have a question, and I didn't want to make a new thread when I saw this one. My school offers Symantec Antivirus free for both Mac and Windows. Should I even bother installing this for Mac? And, is this a good program to run on Windows if I ever run Bootcamp?

11. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Windows - Yes.
    Mac - No.

Read the above posts to find out why.

12. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I run Clam XAV on my powerbook, doesn’t actually remove any viruses but it will warn me, I personally like being a good neighbour!