Virus for OS X?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Tamer Brad, Oct 31, 2005.

1. macrumors regular

May 13, 2005

I was arguing with someone that OS X has no viruses, and they brought this up ... I am not much of a computer guy so I'm not really sure how to respond to this. Help?
  2. macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    Tell him that there is no argument. It is a fact that Mac OS X doesn't have any viruses.

3. macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2005
    Lol, it's malicious software...NOT a virus. There are no viruses for OS X period.
  4. macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2005
    Easton PA
    Actually to let you guys know viruses do exist for OS X my uncle runs a couple of networks and one of them is all Macs running OS X server and he said they got shut down once already due to a virus. So there ARE viruses for OS X just not alot and not easy to get.
  5. macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Wow your Uncle knows something the rest of the Mac community doesn't? :rolleyes:
  6. macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    I'll believe it when I see it. Microsoft would absolutely love to see a Virus written for OS X.
  7. macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Ummm no.
  8. macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    Here is how Mac OS X can't have viruses:
    In a version of Mac OS X, I think it was Jaguar, there were some things in some places that aren't there anymore, they are in different places. Also, Mac OS X is very very very difficult to take over. Everything isn't tied into one item like in Windows. Windows is all tied into the KERNEL.DLL file, on Mac OS X, each component is tied to something else. It makes the connections wherease in Windoze all the connections come out of one place. E.G.
    A connects B and C and D and E - Windows
    A connects to C. C connects to B. B Connects to D. D Connects to E. E connects to A. - Mac OS X

Somewhat kind of like that.
  9. macrumors 68040

I heard that OSX can only get a virus if
    1) The user physically clicks the malicious file
    2) Answers yes to the multiple "are you sure" boxes
    3) Enters his/her password
    then and only THEN can OSX contract a virus capible of doing more than making iTunes randomly skip a song (or something meaningless like that) until the user restarts. Then the "virus" goes away.
    On the other hand, when one logs on to the internet (a feat in itself) on a windows PC the computer begins downloading and installing all kinds of spyware and viruses without asking and ends up screwing itself up. Yay!
    Go hackers! Destroy PC civilization as we know it, paving the way for a glorious mac revolution!
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    Let's seeee, how do I put this...uummm, NO.
  11. macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2004
    Unless you're running in root mode, you'd kinda have to enter your password for it to access anything important...
  12. macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    Just outside Boston, MA.
  13. macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Darkplace Hospital
    the world makes me laugh!

Some say there is a virus for OSX. its called WoW. but it affects the player too :eek: and the lives of people around them
  14. Sic
    macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2005
    Southampton UK
    i've heard you can get that for PC sounds nasty :(;)
  15. macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Wow, so many "i heard" and "my uncle" and misconceptions about.

Let's run through this real quick:
    OS X DOES NOT, and probably WILL NOT, have any viruses on it, ever.

Well, let's take a look:
    1. OS is not built around web applications like Windows is, where it's built ONTOP of (not only DOS, but) Internet Explorer. Everything is an extension of explorer.

2. To make any system level changes, even when in an Admin account, you HAVE TO enter your name and password. Windows does not ask for this, which is why so much crap gets there.

3. If you download an application, even in the background, OS X will ask if you want to launch this app for the first time. Right there, is another security check.

4. The malware out for OS X comes in disk images and packages that pose as REAL applications, or cracks/hacks for those applications. Generally made of applescripts that, again, when trying to run, need your ADMIN password to change things. If you have a funny feeling about something, then do go through with it.

5. These items cannot self-propogate either. So, in short, your uncle, or what you've heard is flat out WRONG. It is fact that they are wrong, and until the day soeme uber hacker can figure out a way past having to get the admion's password to install it, change system level functions, slap a trojan in the Startup items folder, and get past LITTLE SNITCH (if you don't have this app, shame on you!), then we're in the clear.

edit: I hear the WOW virus ruins lives, not just hard drives. :D
  16. macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    I thought I've read there are a few viruses out there for the Mac, but it is by a very rare chance that you'll ever even hear about one. I'm most likely wrong since I heard this a while ago and my facts may be a little out of place... :p
  17. macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    There will always be a Virus for any OS more than likely, but how the virus propagates into your system is different. OS X is just built right to now allow viruses. It's an un needed program to have anti-virus. With Windows the Registry is the key. Its a major part of Windows, and if they get rid of it with Vista (which they are having trouble with in the first place) then support for previous apps is anywhere from 5% to 0%. Everything uses the Registry in Windows.

Mac OS X now, it uses XML files - very smart - very good way to go about it.
  18. macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    Does anyone know if Microsoft is dropping the use of Internet Explorer (technically Explorer...) for browsing your computer, folders, files, etc? If not, then they are just making a big mistake. It's too bad that so many people use IE and have no idea of the circumstances. :(
  19. macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I thought they were two different programs that were just tightly integrated :confused: One is called explore.exe and the other iexplore.exe :confused:
  20. macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2005
    #20 God!

>>>First... to original poster...if you say OSX can not be infected with a would be lying. Period. And will eventually look very foolish. The rest is up to you.

Now...this..."some things in some places that aren't there anymore, they are in different places." etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...and the rest of this meaningless babble. FUD. FUD. FUD.. Geez! Slookster...please stop drinking the Apple koolaid. Wery, wery bad.
  21. macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2005

Adamance does not make up for substance. Actually..why am i bothering? At least you're right about "Little Snitch"..but that begs the question..why do you need it? Why do you use it?...
  22. macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    I said that because when I did the cloning, the image had to check the software version to put files in one place over another. It was something that was in Library - I'll have to look when I make another image tomorrow.
  23. macrumors member

Oct 16, 2005
    What About Mactels?

Hey all,

Don't know much about programming and what not but was wondering if apple's intel switch would render its os vulnerable to viruses? Do the safeguards of OSX (mentioned above) apply even though future versions of the operating system will be able to run/emulate(?) windows software?

24. Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    Viruses usually attack an OS, not hardware. So it won't make a difference. Linux for instance is That being said, there are things such as BIOS viruses that can attack the software on your motherboard. Right now Macs don't have BIOS, but they most likely will after the switch.
  25. macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    Isn't Open Firmware supposed to be the alternative for BIOS, and wouldn't apple want to continue using it (sorry for getting a little off topic here)?