Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jotamurray

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Lately my word is doing weird things like...
1.- when i open my docs it advises "that some macros may contain virus".
2.- when closing down a file I get a message "word could not fire event"

And... when a Pc opens a doc made in my computer it gets a hi risk virus warning: W97M.MARKER.GEN

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Yep, Macs are vulnerable to some Word macro viruses just like PCs. Quit Word, then find your Normal.dot file and drag it to the Trash (it should be in Home directory/Documents/Microsoft User Data). When you fire up Word, the file will be recreated, but this time should be virus free.

You'll also want to use a virus scanner on your Word documents to see which of them are also infected. Here's a free one that should pick up that virus.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i dont know a lot about them, but macros in MS Office have been known to be containers for Mac viruses.

i think the first is a general warning, so nothing much to worry about there.

Could you take a screenshot of the second event please? or is it just that message?

EDIT: looks like dynamicv beat me to it :p

jotamurray

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Scarlet Fever said:
Could you take a screenshot of the second event please? or is it just that message?

EDIT: looks like dynamicv beat me to it :p

yep...
there it goes

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
dynamicv said:
Yep, Macs are vulnerable to some Word macro viruses just like PCs. Quit Word, then find your Normal.dot file and drag it to the Trash (it should be in Home directory/Documents/Microsoft User Data). When you fire up Word, the file will be recreated, but this time should be virus free.

You'll also want to use a virus scanner on your Word documents to see which of them are also infected. Here's a free one that should pick up that virus.

This is a great tip.. (maybe put this in the guides?)

I'll have to remember this..

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I believe the proper way to say it is, Microsoft Office is vulnerable to Word Macro viruses (as it has always been). They do not leave the containment of Microsoft Office.

jotamurray

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005

Deleting the normal. file has eliminated the weird message when closing down a document.
Clamxav does not seem to find infected files but when i send any office doc I send it with virus.

I should get a proper antivirus, right? - I bought Intego's Virusbarrier last year but because it never actually found any virus I decided to not re-new and unistall.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I believe the proper way to say it is, Microsoft Office is vulnerable to Word Macro viruses (as it has always been). They do not leave the containment of Microsoft Office.

I should get a proper antivirus, right? - I bought Intego's Virusbarrier last year but because it never actually found any virus I decided to not re-new and unistall.

Jotamurray, I think dpaanika's post means that you don't have to worry about protecting your Mac; only Microsoft Office is affected by these macro viruses. If you get a macro virus, it won't spread to the rest of your computer, but you'll get the kind of error messages shown in this thread.

jotamurray

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Jotamurray, I think dpaanika's post means that you don't have to worry about protecting your Mac; only Microsoft Office is affected by these macro viruses. If you get a macro virus, it won't spread to the rest of your computer, but you'll get the kind of error messages shown in this thread.

Thanks... but I'm always telling my fellow workers how sh*ite their pcs are... and now they are afraid of recieving anything from my mac.

If I install openoffice... and i open a supposedly infected file will i still be spreading virus?

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
This is the only reason to get anti-virus software for the Mac - to de-infect MS Office documents that get sent to you so that you don't spread them on to anyone else when you send them out.

I would imagine that the Macro viruses, like Macros themselves, are limited to Office. Any other Word processing app on the Mac is unlikely to have the same issues (although the files they produce might not be compatible with PCs running Word)

If the recipients don't need to edit the documents you could always print them as a PDF (not just safer, but smaller and prettier too)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.