Virus Irony

Discussion in 'Community' started by dotdotdot, Feb 22, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I know its because now, OSX is based on UNIX, so it can't get viruses.

But I was looking at "virus history" because it was kind of interesting to find out their history, and according to Wikipedia...

Elk Cloner was the first virus in the wild - and what did it effect? Apple computers.

SO, Apple has basically gone FARTHER than any OS company... ever, as it was the first OS to get a virus and probably the only (real, not free) OS now that can't get a virus...

Just wanted to say this.

2. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

i think thats a bit of a stretch.

i'll play devil's advocate and say you also have to take into consideration the marketshare apple had then, and the marketshare apple has now.
    its directly representational to how viruses have affected macintosh computers. coincidence?

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I don't think that just because OSX is based on UNIX that it can't get viruses. I think that it can, there just aren't any

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

OS X can get viruses, and UNIX has nothing to do with it not having any, its more due to the structure that apple has implemented in their OS, they dont have the browser integrated, nor do they allow websites just about free-for-all access to the computer, one day there will be a virus or more than one for OS X, its bound to happen, we will just have to wait for it though

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

But, based on adamjay's logic, we won't have to worry about that for quite a while. As long as Apple has a small market share, there will never be any Mac OS X viruses. :)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

personally i dont think its due to marketshare all that much, sure it is somewhat of a factor, but if anything, wouldnt hackers be trying their hardest to be the first person to write a successful OS X virus no matter the marketshare? it can work either way

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I have to agree with you on that. I am always trying to debase the market-share/virus-existence theory. Sure, for many hackers, Windows makes an easy target due to lax security and widespread proliferation. But if Windows had better security but the same market share, would we have the same outrageous number of viruses? I doubt it.

And there has got to be the hacker elite out there trying to become world famous for writing the first Mac OS X virus that spreads like wild fire. Image the rep you'd get from that. It's like being a professional thief. Would you rather be known as the 10,000th guy who broke into 90% of the vaults out there because they had poor security? Or would you rather be known as the 1 guy who broke into one of the world's toughest vaults to crack? When we cheer the bad guys in the movies for pulling off the nigh-impossible crime, even though what they are doing is usually highly illegal, we do it because we laud their cleverness, not because it was easy. Professional thieves do it for the challenge, not just the payoff. I'd suspect the same is true of professional hackers.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you definitely said it better than i could have, good analogy by the way, its a skill and many would rather be known as the top dog than just another player, simple as that....market share has little to do with it, until the first virus is made that is, then people wouldnt bother because it wont have a huge effect

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Thanks for the compliment. I thought of that professional thief analogy the other day and really thought it "jived".

10. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

not at all, by MY logic nothing is so cut and dry and other things need to be taken into consideration. by my logic the world isn't black and white. also by my logic apple is not perfect, but then again MY logic seems to offend the most blind of the mac fan boys.
    i love my mac and OSX but i also love critical discussion, which seems increasingly difficult to have around here.
    :rolleyes:

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

isnt this a critical discussion though? we are all pointing out what we thing are the different possibilites for viruses for OS X, and if you ask me we are being rather mature about it too. Just remember that we only have to go off of what you put in your post, so just dont be easily offended, it is an internet forum LoL

anyways, i always think opinions about this topic are interesting, its obviously not just one factor that keeps a viruses from popping up on OS X, but a little of each im sure, and i am sure that one day there will be a virus for OS X, i hope im wrong, but i doubt i will be

12. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

well it was a critical discussion until a false statement was made about how my logic says viruses are because of marketshare.

which is not what i said.

i said that marketshare should be "considered" especially with concern to how the decline in frequency of viruses on this platform is correlative to the decline in marketshare. i didn't say it was a coincidence or that it wasn't a coincidence, i posed the question of is it a coincidence?

i also said i was playing devil's advocate, which indemnifies my own beleifs and opinions with regard to the question i was posing. The statement of "based on adamjay's logic" holds no water and because of that i read it as an attack considering statements like that are usually a jab at one's thinking.

but, whatever.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i never said that you stated it as a fact, or your personal belief, and it is frustrating when someone does, but eh, its probably not worth getting bent out of shape over, it is an intenet forum, and different people read things differently, im sorry you saw it as an attack, i personally can say that i mean no harm intent whatsoever, just discussion, as polite as possible, and yes you were correct to point out that market-share should be considered.....

sorry for the issues

14. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

ah but it wasn't you that i'm referring to.
    so don't sweat it :)

15. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

Apple has small market share and the people who would be able to write the viruses love the mac OS too much to spread viruses :-D

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Sorry, adamjay. I apologize. I glossed over your "devil's advocate" comment and thus attributed the logic to you rather than "the character you were playing". Again, I apologize. I think we all can agree that there are a number of factors that will determine when the first Mac OS X virus appears.