Virus on my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by statesmire, Nov 26, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Long story short, using Firefox I am having a lot of ads pop-up from the infamous Windows Virus "Adserverplus". Obviously it's not just for Windows but now I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

My nephew used my computer for a week and now I'm having this issue... I know better not to download suspicious programs.

Anyone ever come across this? Can't find anything on Google for the removal on mac, only PC.

2. macrumors G5

Macman45

I doubt you have been infected, but download and run ClamAV from the Mac app store....It's free and will tell you if you have an issue. Viruses do not infect Macs as a rule, but Malware can be an issue in a small number of cases.:

http://www.clamxav.com

3. simsaladimbamba

It is probably just a pop up, not a virus or any kind of malware.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the response.. I just downloaded ClamXav and it's a bit cumbersome, as I am not sure where to search.

I agree, I doubt it is a virus, but it definitely is adware/malware because even if I go to ebay/google/gmail, whatever it will consistently throw advertisements in a pop-up. I understand, I could probably Block it, however I would much rather remove it.

5. macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

6. macrumors member

Fank

I assume you got rid of all cookies; that alone can cause the pop ups

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Did a scan and nothing came up, also got rid of all my cookies. Got two pop-ups as I browsed to this page... Grr... Wonder if I should just reinstall Firefox and cross my fingers?

Thanks for the help thus far, really appreciate it... I think I am the first person to ever somewhat break a mac. LOL

8. macrumors 6502

are you running any addons for firefox?

9. macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

10. macrumors regular

MadTester

Run ClamXav against your mail client.... use AdBlock/DoNotTrack + on your browser.... it might be abit cumbersome but it will be worth it if you run a full scan.....

If all else fails then remove firefox (use CleanMyMac or something similar to get rid of any Firefox left overs) and do a reinstall.

HTH