Virus Protection for the Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stoid, Oct 4, 2003.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

As a requirement for on campus machines, they must have some kind of virus software installed on them. When registering my laptop, I simply replied that "Mac's don't get viruses except for Microsoft Office macros virus, which I don't have." The techie told me that "Yes, MACs (I love the way he capitalized it as though it's an acronym, just showing his ignorance of the platform) do get viruses, just not as often. I'm not virus-scared but to comply with the campus rules, I have to put some virus software on it. Is there any free (or at least exceedingly cheap) virus protection software? Don't have or want .Mac, too expensive because I don't need all the features it touts. If nothing else, I guess I can just put down Mac OS X as my virus protection software, and he won't know the difference. :rolleyes:

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Reply that he's an idiot and he should not be any where near a computer.

LOL... Just Joking

But seriously i think i've seen Norton AntiVirus for mac for like $45

Better yet, just tell him Safari is an antivirus software, or mac os x has a build in antivirus scanning process...

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yes since he's a total moron, i would definitely take some obscure app off of your computer and say it's antivirus... either that or insist that the university buy you AV software, since it's unnecessary, you shouldn't have to foot the bill.

pnw

4. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Or tell him you do have .Mac account :) he's probably not going to check.

I also like the idea paulwhannel had about making him front the bill. PC's come with AV software preinstalled Macs don't - evidence we don't need them - but if they really want you to have it, tell them to pay for it.
    <rant> what else are they going to spend that huge tuition you just forked over on</rant>

5. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Tell him as soon as he finds a virus for OSX you'll install a virus protection thing.

6. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Disinfectant

Since there is no Mac OS X virus, then Disinfectant will be your best bet. It only runs in Classic, but it will be sufficient for finding most of the Classic Mac OS viruses, except for maybe Word macro viruses.

I put it up in my iDisk... it's here.

I would normally say just to tell the guy off, but I've learned that it's just easier to not argue in instances like these.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I find it odd that the campus does not have site licenses for antivirus software. If they require a piece of software to be installed, they should provide it.

My campus makes antivirus software (McAffee) freely downloadable to any computer on the campus network.