Virus Protection using Parallels?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gordoebg, Dec 2, 2006.

1. gordoebg macrumors newbie

I have cross-posted this question here and in the Apple Discussions Forums.

Please excuse me if I have posted this in the wrong area. I am brand new to the world of Mac. I will be running MS XP under Parallels on my new MacBook for a few applications that have no Mac alternatives. I have read quite a bit that virus protection is not really necessary using OS X; my question is this: Will running XP on Parallels make my Mac vulnerable to more viruses? If it makes a difference, this computer will be on a network that has both Mac and PC users. Thanks.

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

It depends. If you're not doing email inside of XP, and not browsing and downloading with Internet Explorer, you are probably fine. CAVEAT: If you're going to be copying a lot of files into there that you grab from somewhere else (e.g. Word documents, or if you're a person that grabs stuff off of bittorrent/limewire), then you really should be running virus protection.

There are free antivirus programs available for XP though, so it doesn't have to cost you anything - Avast! and AVG come to mind. PC World did a story an free antivirus sometime in the last year or so; I'd recommend poking around on their website for their review.

If you're associated with a university (student/staff/faculty) then you can often get McAfee for free, since many schools buy site licenses.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ are you working for that company or something? All of your posts talk about this.

4. capkapak macrumors newbie

Just for your info, if you've purchased Parallels it comes with Kaspersky Internet Security Suite with 1 year subscription free.

It came with Parallels 3.0 and also now with 4.0 so you're good for at least 1 year without having to fork out cash for the subscription.