Virus software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SLiipfert, Jan 26, 2006.

1. SLiipfert macrumors newbie

Anyone know of virus software out there for a ibook g4? I just switched not too long ago from a pc to a mac, and don't have virus protection on my ibook. Dumb me! Not sure what's out there for the macs. So someone let me know what's out and what's good. thanks.
    Oh and how do I open my address book? I can never find it, except for when I'm emailing it becomes visible..odd. Another question: where is my downloaded folder? never can find that one either. i think that's about it.
    still learning the ropes, so please lend me your help on these little things.
    thanks, SL

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Address book is located in the Applications folder. If you want to, you can drag the icon from there to the dock -- you can then click on it on the dock to launch it.

I presume that, by your downloaded folder, you mean the place where Safari downloads things. In Safari, open the preferences (Safari menu -> Preferences). There is an option to set this in the General pane. If you click on the pull-down, and select other, it will go, by default, to the currently set location, so you can see where it is in this way.

I'm not going to answer the virus question...it's been done SO many times. Please forum search.

I hope that helps.

3. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

To answer the virus question:
    THERE ARE NO KNOWN VIRUSES OR MALWARE FOR MAC OS X.
    And it's likely that there won't be for many years.

You may hear the contrary, but the only people that say malware exists for Mac OS X are the writers of Mac OS X virus scanners, which do nothing.

:D

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

While we are typing in all caps, YOU ARE INCORRECT. There are no known viruses. There is malware. There are multiple trojan horses and scripts that fall under the definition of malware. Most, if not all, require you to input an admin password so they aren't really too affective. I even believe that was a worm for OS X, or was that pre-OS X? I can't remember. Anyway, there is most definitely malware for OS X.

That said, you don't really need anti-virus. There are no known viruses for OS X and most security holes get patched up pretty quick. Just don't enter your admin password unless you know why you are entering it (installing software, installing updates, etc) and you'll be fine.

For all intents a purposes, they do do nothing. But I don't work for any company that writes anti-virus software. Sorry.

5. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Well, you're right about that.

But those shouldn't be considered malware, considering it would take a monkey who can type passwords to install one.

In all general situations, there are no viruses or malware to worry about.

Maybe should've put those three last words.