virus!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jnguyen4, Aug 28, 2006.

1. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

hi, my macbook has been running weird and i decided to run a virus scan on it. i used clamXav and it said i had 3 infected files. i knew wut it was so i deleted them and i ran the program again. now it says i have no viruses. but do i really have a virus?? cuz most u guys on here says that there r still no viruses on macs.. do u have a major problem??

2. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

it's more likely your virus program found windows viruses on your computer and removed them. They won't have any effect on your Mac using experience. As to why your computer was running weird, I dunno. Depends on the definition of weird, I guess.

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I had a problem with my old g3, but it was malware from irreputable websites, not a virus like "oh no my computer is screwed" microsoft virus.
    I fixed it by reinstalling the OS

4. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

well it was super slow so i decided to restart it.. then it wouldn't restart, it would just stay at my wallpaper so i had to press and hold down the button still it turned off then i turned it back ok. and sometimes when the computer has been on for a while, certain programs dont open. they just bounce up and down but they never open

5. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

The apps not opening sounds like a permissions problem. Goto Finder --> Applications --> Utilites --> Disk Utility, then select the harddrive (called Macintosh HD by deafault) and press "Repair Permissions".

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have plenty of free space on your hard disk? When it slows down, is there a process or set of processes in Activity Monitor using up a lot of your resources (CPU and RAM - remember to check All Processes and not just My Processes)? Do you have much RAM? :)

7. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

yes i have free hd space. and when it slows down i cant open activity monitor...

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've seen behavior somewhat like what you're describing when an external drive or volume mounted via the network stops responding--I don't suppose you have a flaky flash drive connected, or maybe a mounted server volume and a shaky wireless connection when this occurs?

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Keep Activity Monitor open so you can check it when it starts to slow down.

10. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

no i do not have a flash drive.. i was just reading in these forums that if you are running rosetta stone then it slows down a lot?? do u guys have any info on this?? thanx

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Rosetta does use up a lot of RAM but it still shouldn't be acting like this. Maybe create a new user account and see if the problems carry over. :)

12. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

13. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Intel machines really need 1GB or more to run well. :eek: