Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kelg6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
California
I'm new to mac but someone once told me that there aren't too many viruses compatible with mac (or far less than PCs). I don't know how true that statement is but I want to make sure that my computer doesn't die. Is there any recommendations out there for virus protection? Much thanks! :eek:

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
I don't use virus protection and I haven't had a problem. Just make sure you download security updates frequently.

In general, you can feel comfortable opening up e-mails that have viral attachments, attempting to open the files, sending the files to your friends, and taunting everyone with your computer's invincibility. Of course, there have been a maybe a couple viruses for OS X, but I don't think any that were transmitted by e-mail.

For example, there was one that masked itself as an mp3 file and would do a wee bit of damage if you opened the file, but nothing really irreversible. And there was some security problem recently, but Apple is very good about stamping everything out very quickly with security updates.

Yes, there are compromises to security once in a while, but because there are so few, Apple can respond to each quickly.

So all I can say is, "Welcome to Paradise."

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
There are currently no known OS X viruses (virii?). There are a few proof of concept Trojans, but you have to open the files yourself in order to launch them. As far as virus protection, opinions range from 'you don't need it' to use (insert favorite brand name here). Myself I have the Virex software that came with my .Mac account, but I don't actually run except on occasion to make sure I am not a carrier for my PC using friends.

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
krimson said:
Wait til there are real virii before you go spending your money on antivirus software.
but if you really want one.. steer clear of Symantec's NAV :)

I know everyone has a lot against NAV, but I use it and have never had a problem. I don't have any of the automatic or background scanning enabled because I think that stuff just bloats your system, but it does a good job at scanning files for virii. I'm not saying it's the best, but I don't really think it's as bad as people make it out to be... their other products, on the other hand, are definitely not safe to use on os x.

- reaper

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
FYI.

plural form of virus is viruses, NOT virii. dunno where people get this spelling from. it's one of my minor peeves. it's as if some people (who replaces "me" with "i" even when "me" is correct) decided they would look smarter if they came up with a more convoluted plural form or something. :p (radius/radii and focus/foci are where this comes from, i believe, however, radiuses and focuses are both accepted.)

i checked dictionary.com or oxford english dictionary. virii is not even mentioned.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
jxyama said:
FYI.

plural form of virus is viruses, NOT virii. dunno where people get this spelling from. it's one of my minor peeves. it's as if some people (who replaces "me" with "i" even when "me" is correct) decided they would look smarter if they came up with a more convoluted plural form or something. :p (radius/radii and focus/foci are where this comes from, i believe, however, radiuses and focuses are both accepted.)

i checked dictionary.com or oxford english dictionary. virii is not even mentioned.

Correct. there is no recorded use of plural of "virus" in latin (=venom, slime), and if there was it would be probably "vira", because it's a neuter word.
In biology the accepted plural term is "viruses", however it's possible that in future dictionaries will start accepting virii (maybe specifically meaning computer viruses?).
(i don't even know why I wasted my time with this "contribution", but I did, so you'll have to waste a comparable amount of your time reading it :p )

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Don't panic said:
now I remember why i wanted to post in this thread.
in response to Kelg6 virusesiia cencerns: is OS X still vulnerable to word macro viruses? I know older OS/office combos were.
Anybody knows?

Office v. X has a preference to disable macro viruses. so i think it's vulnerable...

but it's been a while since i've seen one, though. i remember bak in 96/97 or so, there were many of those macro viruses running around...

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
jxyama said:
FYI.

Memeomaniasis
Virus of the brain that interrupts conversations with pet-peaves. Thought to be a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Almost as annoying as grammar police. :)

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
jxyama said:
FYI.

You'll appreciate the following links, I think.

spl's Soap Box--The plural of virus

Definition of Virus-wordIQ Dictionary & Encyclopedia

Of note is the following quote from the second link above. It is the second paragraph of the Etymology section.

wordIQ said:
Despite frequent claims to the contrary, the only correct English plural of the word for any of these senses is viruses. The Latin word does not appear to have had a plural. Virii would be the plural of the word virius, and viri was the plural of the word vir, meaning man. See [1] for more on this.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jxyama said:
Office v. X has a preference to disable macro viruses. so i think it's vulnerable...

but it's been a while since i've seen one, though. i remember bak in 96/97 or so, there were many of those macro viruses running around...

God, I'd forgotten all about those. I remember I *hated* those things. I was up all night one night doing a nuclear physics lab report and it printed out with all these warnings to "STOP ALL TESTING OF NUCLEAR DEVICES!!!" Holy ironic, Batman. :D

But, but, but, I just want to measure the lifetime of the muon! :(

Another reason, FWIW, to run NAV or something similar is to be part of the solution and not the problem. There aren't many/any OS X viruses but there are PC viruses that can be spread by OS X users. Like if you get an infected e-mail and you don't know its infected and you forward it. Not that I have gotten a lot of hits on NAV in the whole 8 years or so I've used it on various Win and Mac computers...maybe ten times in 8 years?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Don't panic said:
Correct. there is no recorded use of plural of "virus" in latin (=venom, slime), and if there was it would be probably "vira", because it's a neuter word.
In biology the accepted plural term is "viruses", however it's possible that in future dictionaries will start accepting virii (maybe specifically meaning computer viruses?).
(i don't even know why I wasted my time with this "contribution", but I did, so you'll have to waste a comparable amount of your time reading it :p )

I first heard the word "virii" about 10 years ago. Before I got an Internet connection, I used to order shareware via mail-order. It came on floppies, with "this disk has been checked for all known virii" printed on them.

Anyway, you may want to read what Wikipedia has to say on the subject.

I have a question:
I use the free version of Virex that comes with the .mac account. Occasionally, it will tell me that I have a "possibly infected" file. I can't find any way for it to tell me which file it is. I've tried scrolling throught the log, but I've never found anything. (I've never read every line, either.) I always just give up and have Virex "clean" it just to be safe. Is there a way to find out which file is the problem?

b.t.w. I once tried deleting all of my email and then trying again, and it still showed an infected file. I had thought maybe it was a pc virus attached to some of my spam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.