Virus...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Natalia81, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Natalia81 macrumors regular

Ok...I've recently joined the Mac world (from years in Windows). One of the reasons....viruses. Everyone keeps saying to not even bother getting anti-virus software for you Mac...that it's unnecessary or would probably just cause problems with your system. So here are the questions:

If a windows virus is sent to someone on a Mac via email, download, or whatever...can that virus be spread to other windows machines via the Mac? I would think that since it's designed for windows it would just kinda die in the Mac OS. Also, do anti-virus software for Macs detect and remove windows viruses?

The reason I'm concerned about this is because I don't want to infect other networks/computers....especially my work's network (sometimes I have to work from home).

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes anti-virus software will be able to tell you if you have a window's virus, and yes you can pass it on to other windows users

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

...but is doesn't secretly get passed on. For example if it was disguised as a .doc file and you sent it to a PC user then yes you can pass one on but only if you tell the computer to.

4. Natalia81 thread starter macrumors regular

But without an anti-virus software you wouldn't know if that file containing a virus contained a virus before(/after) deciding to pass it on...right?

5. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Right.

So to be "responsible" I use anti-virus software.

Don't forget to use a firewall - plenty of other threads here have details on why, what, how etc.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Responsible?

They should be running antivirus software on their WinXP computers, not the other way around. You use a Mac so that you don't need to deal with that crap anymore. I had the same problem with WinXP (the Bugbear and Lovegate viruses, specifically), and personally, I'm not going back to that virus-fearing world. I don't care. Its not really irresponsible to NOT use anti-virus software on your Mac, and I don't think you should feel guilty about it.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, responsible. If you are on the Internet--and you are--then you should do your part to make it a better place. We are all adversely affected by the malware that is so rampant on machines running Windows. If we are all affected, then it is incumbent on all of us to do whatever we can to prevent the spread of viruses and other malware. It is more than being responsible, it is just plain good sense.

8. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

We might not have any viruses at the moment, but one day there will be one. So it is a good idea to have it for when that time comes. But for now, we can only pass on windows viruses by accident. Such as the .doc file you could receive from an infected friend, and you figure someone else should see it so you send it off to someone else. That someone else will get the virus, and it will be your fault too along with the person who sent the file to you. Ignorance is not an excuse.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

To add to that... how do you explain to a Windows user that has little knowledge of computers in the first place that although you may have sent them a virus your Mac is not actually infected? Something tells me they won't believe you...

10. brap macrumors 68000

Simple answer; don't pass on attachments unless you made them.

11. Natalia81 thread starter macrumors regular

So I windows virus could not send it self (like some do on windows) if they are on your Mac?

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No.

The ONLY way a Mac can get infected with a Windows virus is if you run VPC and were silly enough to transfer your "questionable" attachment into your Windows image/VPC and then ran it (or use an "helpful" email app withing VPC).

13. lalcan macrumors regular

Well... AFAIK that's not completely truth... M$ Office documents containing virus might actually run in Mac Office and infect other documents because of the awful OfficeBasic whatever.

It hasn't happened to me ever, but i guess it could happen.

It's always a good policy to have an updated antivirus, and brag to your Windoze friends whenever they fall prey to a virus :D

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't think MS Office macro viruses from back in the day can propagate like they used to in pre-OS X, file structure and ToolBox are all different. Besides, good luck finding one that isn't on a floppy you haven't used in 6 years. In addition to THAT, none of those were internet borne, meaning, they couldn't propagate over the internet without the actual file being passed from one infected party to another.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is not that there are no MacOS X viruses. There are no MacOS X-specific viruses. One of Microsoft's most noteable technological innovations is the cross-platform virus. Most of the viruses that infected MacOS 9 were M$ Office macroviruses intended for Windows users. Office macroviruses can only damage other Office files, but this may be a problem. AFAIK, Office macroviruses are infectious in MacOS X. However, their damage is limited to the user's Office files.