Viruses and hijacked home page

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, May 8, 2004.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Im a pc user on a p4 3.0 using widows xp pro
    I was wondering about using the mac os x Do you guys get viruses or do you get a bunch of adware or spyware .My home page was hijacked by viruses.i had to restore.im ready to switch now.i wasnt going to switch because i only have about 1800 to spend but im so sick of these moronic hackers that keep sending out worms and shut down sites and costs me money.any one have advice

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

well, it is possible for OS X to get viruses, but we don't get many, if any, due to the fact that most people don't like to write that stuff for 5% of the market. Adware and Spyware are not widespread and I have never had any come across my way, that I know of ;) Make the switch, we'd love to have you and you can get a pretty decent machine for 1800.

3. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

There are no "real" OS X viruses, and it is much harder for viruse writes to write visruse for OS X due to its "unix core". I don't forsee any real viri for OS X in the future, and if there was i don't think it could be very harmful.

As for syp-addware, I am not aware of any for mac. One big thing about window vs mac, is that on window "evil dooers" can run stuff of web pages with out your asking. They are also targeting IE 6 n'stuff.

To make this short. Switch, you be much happier.

4. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Im using a 17 monitor and will going from a 17 to a 12 inch powrbook monitor.is to much of a drop ?

5. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

i have a 12" powerbook right now, and i have a 17" CRT i use for moniter spaning, but i still end up doing most of my work on the power books lcd. I don't find it cramped or small. I love it, its the best laptop i've ever had.

6. brianellisrules macrumors regular

Sounds like you have a decent machine. It also sounds like you need to be more careful of email attachments and what you install, etc...

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

don't forget connecting to the internet, which in itself is enough to infect a machine. it's a lot to expect the average user to secure Windows, considering MS can't manage it. taking precautions helps a lot, but won't keep you from getting infected.

OS X will.

paul

8. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I'm the only person in my family with a mac. I'm also the only person in my family who doesn't complain daily about viruses, adware/spyware, and hijacked homepages. Coincidence? I think not.

9. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

The intel p 4 is a good rig .the problem is os.it would be nice to cruise the internet and be able to explore everything.Its sad how gradually ive become literally scared to click on links .i caught a trojan the other day at a wrestling website.How much slower is a g4 powerbook than a p4 3.0 i know they are diffrent animals.desktop and laptop but how much will i be sacrificing on speed.i dont have the room for a g5

10. dopefiend macrumors 6502

That G4 will be extremely slow compared to that P4.

11. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Have you considered Linux? You'd have to spend some time learning the ins and outs, but I'm sure your spending time now coping with Windows--wasted time. Just a thought. You can get a good Mac (not that there's such a thing as a bad Mac) for $1800.

As for speed between the 2 machines, it'll depend a bit on what you do with it. For the average user speed won't be an issue. Email, web, and word processing are going to feel about the same on a 1st generation iMac or a top of the line G5.

12. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

This is one of the main reasons I never touch IE ever again--HUGE active X vulnerability means programs can be installed behind your back! That's a browser vulnerability, not an OS vulnerability. Only more reasons to switch to Firefox :)

-edit-
    Most legitimate websites DO NOT do this, however. Unless you've been visiting *arez or *orn sites...I'd be hardpressed to find this happening on one of the more reputable sites (e.g. Yahoo, NYTimes, abc.com, etc.)

Personal websites (e.g. geocities) can be a hole different bag of worms...so watch out for that. What exactly was this wrestling site that gave you the virus? Was it an official website?

13. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Download SP2. Gives IE(pop up blocker/new download manager) and so many other add ons windows has been needing :D

14. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

i allowed java virtual machine to install today.theres a big security issue with that .im sure that was the problem.It wasnt an offical wrestling website it was a link to read more rumors.Hear anything about a g5 imac?

15. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

As some one who has used 3.0 P4, 1.33 G4, 900 G3, i don't think that the 1.33 G4 in the 12" powerbook will be extremely slow. in fact i think its extremely fast. i know what the benchmarks say, but i also know what my eyes see. the G4 is nice and fast, and will do anything you want it too.

i know you said you are looking at the powerbook, and i'd just though that i'd let you know that it runs virtualPC very well. the virtualPC i have is running win2k, and feels like 500mhz-1ghz pc. very reponsive. if you have some program that you need a pc for (not games, well old games work alright) then the virtualPC will do the job. personly i run a couple of programs for flashing microcontollers.

i was a big windows guy before i switched, and now i'll never go back

16. dopefiend macrumors 6502

You don't play many games ;)

17. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

thats why i have a ps2 and a gamecube. most game titles i play are not out for pc.. ie final fanstasy. to play the lastest greatest pc game i would need to buy a $1500 pc every year or two. OR i could just get a new game system every three years for $300.

btw some of the best games of all time run on 8-bit or 16-bit processors.

i do play sim city 4 and it runs great, no lag.

18. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

i guess if i tried to play a far cry or metal of honor id have a bit of trouble but i really dont play those games.truth is i stink at games like that.i have a ps2 and i play sports games and one game in paticular that i love is gta3 gta vice city and im waiting on gta san andreas which incidently plays better on pc .since the ps2 havs a dvd player i have a nice sony trinitron tv to watch dvd's.all i have done with this p4 is got to the apple site and drool over the g5 and pb's but im kinda worried about shelling out the cash.i cant stand those nasty viruses

19. dopefiend macrumors 6502

$1500, hehe, thats a nice, high random number ;)

20. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

I was at the voodoo pc site and was gonna buy the voodoo rage for about 1900 just for the pc case and electric vains cooling and they tweak there softwear too.but again they soul there sold to the devil_bill gates

21. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

random yes, high no. thats about the price for a decent "gameing pc". its like $300-$400 just for a pimped out video card.

22. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

don't worry if you do get a mac, it can do everything your pc can do, not get viri,worms,millions of pop ups, ect..., and give you an very nive user experince. plus you get a soild unix back end, if your in to that kind of stuff.

23. dopefiend macrumors 6502

You could build you a PC for less than $1,000 that would bust the balls off any current game avaliable ;) No need to be spending $1,500.

Lets see that shotty cube's performance compared to the above rig :p

24. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

yes you can build a pc for less than 1000, but will it be abel to "bust the balls off" games for two years ? :) i'm still sticking to my 1500 figure, and even for 1500 you can't build a pc that will even come close to a dual g5.

like i said the 1.33 g4 is good and fast. it can do anything you want. and yes it can play games.

25. dopefiend macrumors 6502

The hell....of course I could, lol.

That G4 1.33 couldn't even handle UT2004.....come on :rolleyes: