Visa Electron Dilemma

Discussion in 'Community' started by Shaun.P, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hey,

Today I went with my mum to Homebase (a DIY store in the UK) to get some paint for my room. So, we agreed I'd buy a tin and she'd buy a tin each costing £14.99. So I went up to the checkout and she put my card in (Visa Electron) and I typed in my PIN and it said Pin Approved. Then it said something like 'config error' and the woman at the till said that is was nothing wrong with my card, but a technical fault due to their tills. So I said to my mum 'I'll withdraw the money and give it to you later'. So she bought everything. So tonight, I went onto the online banking and I have been charged £14.99. I don't know what to do. I didn't receive a receipt or anything from the shop because my card came up with an error...nevertheless I have been charged.

Am I going to get my money back?! What shall I do?!

2. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Have you still got your receipt? Tell you bank what had happened you should not be liable for it. If that fails tell the Homebase manager what happened.

Dont panic though. It will be sorted as long as you assert that you were not to blame.

3. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i know you didn't get your receipt this time...but in the future, always get your receipt each time whether the charge goes through or not...

you'd be surprised how many times this happens.

4. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Ok thanks for the help. I'll let you know in the next few days how it goes.

5. iGav macrumors G3

6. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Midnight Mist (blue) and light fawn. Lol.

I've just bought a new desk and it doesn't have a key to open the drawers. The lock is a 78806 and I'm looking for matching key. Does anyone know if this is easy to get?

7. iGav macrumors G3

You're not very lucky are you... :p

There will probably be a number somewhere on the instructions that you can call should your flatpack be missing any parts. ;)

8. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

No it was bought today as seen. But when I saw it it had the key! Meh, I'm never going to get it open, am I?

9. mpw Guest

"...well officer I was just reading a forum thread about a dodgy VISA transaction and it went out of control and veered off at all sorts of tangents..."

?

10. iGav macrumors G3

Give the place/person a buzz and see if they have a copy or whether it was left behind.

Is it just the usual yale type key? if so... I very much doubt that it's a high security lock, try a paper clip for 15 minutes, with a bit of fiddling you should be able to get it open, then replace the lock.

11. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

It's the type of lock you'd find on a filing cabnet. I need to find a paper clip lol :p You wouldn't believe the bad luck I've been having lately!

12. iGav macrumors G3

yeah the flat key type... you should be able to pick that one quickly enough with a paper clip, or a safety pin.

Do look both ways before you cross a road won't you. ;)

Oh, and what do you look like... just incase I ever find myself sitting next to you on a plane. :p :p :p

13. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

So I went into town today to the lock smith to see if he could give me a key (the lock for the desk has a number on it). So, when I got there the sign said 'Closed. Close early Wednesday". I also had the intention of getting a haircut and realised that it too, also will be closed. Those must be the only 2 shops in my town that close early on a Wednesday!

I phoned the place up where I got the desk from and they offered me a refund but I declined. They also said they couldn't find the key. So I lost my patience and got a screwdriver and yanked the drawer out, snapping the plasting locking mechanism etc. So I now have access to my drawers!

I still haven't went back to Homebase as I'm waiting for it to say 'Homebase' on my statement on the online banking so I can prove that I've been charged. I can't find the receipt that my mum got when she made the purchase :(. I have a feeling that I'm not going to get my money back. Hopefully if we could speak to the same woman who was at the till she may be able to remember me.

I hope I get my money back, and if I don't I'm going to take the matter further. I know £15 isn't like millions of money, but it's the principal of the matter. Technology isn't 100% accurate.

14. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Just goto your bank and get a mini-statement. It'll have the transaction on there.

15. mpw Guest

Odds on this guy's place gets broken into and all the important expensive stuff he keeps in his drawer gets nicked. His insurance company'll then say that as the drawer wasn't locked they don't have to pay out. ;)

16. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Lol!

I went into Homebase today. The woman says she needs the receipt - which (you've guessed it!) we can't find. She said it would take 'hours' to search through all the transations. Meh. Luckily though my mum said that I don't need to pay her the money for the paint - so I haven't lost out, my mum has.

Thanks for all your advice and comments which cheered me up!

Take a look at my website at http://shaun.martinplanttransport.co.uk

Thanks again.

17. mpw Guest

Why should your mum lose out?

You said in your first post you were never given a reciept so it's no wonder you can't find it.
    Call VISA and explain to them that Homebase took payment from your card without authorization, without any transaction paperwork and are refusing to look in to it.
    VISA will credit you and then take it up with Homebase. If what you're saying is correct Homebase won't be able to show the sale to VISA and that'll be that.

18. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

They want the receipt for the stuff my mum bought on her card.

19. mpw Guest

Why? That transaction's not in dispute. Tell them you want to see the their record of the transaction that is in dispute and don't take no for an answer. Point out that if they can't they've taken money from your account without authorisation, if it's a mistake you'll forgive them if they return it or you'll prosecute if they don't.

Of course if you're happy to take money from your mum you could just dip into her purse and send me £15, I'm just as if not more than deserving than Homebase.

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's bull. Card transactions are easy to look up. Back in the days when I was 16 with a weekend job on the tills at Currys we did it all the time. They must be able to lookup transactions by card number & date.

21. iGav macrumors G3

Isn't a VISA-Electron card a debit one though not a credit card? In which case he'll need to contact his bank.

Either way FearFactor47, they took £14.99 without authorisation and for goods you did not purchase, so you need to pursue this.

How accommodating would Homebase be if you'd stolen £14.99 worths of goods?

22. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I second this. I've had several jobs in retail including my present one. They should be able to either find the transaction through a database of some sort or manually. It should be easy because problems and queries happen all the time and it's in their own interest to be able to track them down.

Politely ask to speak to a supervisor, or even better, a manager. If they can't sort it out then I would just not bother shopping their again as it really highlights some top quality incompetence.

23. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

LOL. Funny but, tragically, probably true. :D

24. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Well, a bit of good news!

I've been checking my bank online and the £14.99 has been added back to me! They musth ave realised it was an error or something. Now I can pay my mum back :p

25. iGav macrumors G3

Excellent news.

So have you painted your room yet?