Visio Replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by e²Studios, Apr 23, 2005.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

After making my switch ive noticed that i cant seem to find a Visio replacement. I really dont want to have to load VPC/Win2k everytime i need to use Visio or a app like it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a OS X app that is similar to Visio, or am i stuck in VPC land for it?

Thanks
    Ed

2. Dandaman macrumors 6502

I'm not sure exactly what visio is or what it does. Have you tried browsing through www.versiontracker.com yet? Maybe you can find something there.

daniel

3. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Just in case here is a Link to what Visio is, its a shame in my opinion that Office for mac doesnt include it, or that they dont even sell it for Mac. :( I have tried version tracker, was looking for maybe some first hand advice here.

Ed

4. Dandaman macrumors 6502

sorry i couldn't help. Maybe you'll get more responses and help tomorrow morning :)

daniel

5. kg9ov macrumors member

Have you checked out OmniGraffle? Depending on your needs, it may work.

-Tony

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I use either Appleworks' Drawing module (primitive, but works pretty well for simple things) or Omnigraffle. The latter is probably about as close to Visio as you'll find (and possibly need).

7. mpw Guest

Are you using Visio for a specific purposes like flow charts or plan layouts?

8. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Mainly i use it for Network and SQL diagrams. So Data Flow and Tech Type Diagrams.

Thanks everyone for your assistance :)

Ed

9. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Omnigraffle is what you should look at then. If you want more sophistication with your ERDs you'll need to look at the Data or UML modeling tools. Xcode 2.0 in Tiger supports UML class diagrams and I think (but not sure) it also supports ERD diagrams.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Omnigraffle Pro can save things to Visio. If you have a Powerbook or PowerMac, you may already have a version lurking in your Apps folder

The Omni group are really good at giving you decent access to their software to try it out. You can download the software and then they will give you a day's key to use the full version of the software (in fact, it will work until you quit the application).

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And then you can request another key, and another, and another... :eek: :D

12. JLMohr macrumors newbie

13. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

What I used to do in Visio I am now using Adobe illustrator for (more out of necessity than choice :mad: )

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow