Visit to Florida..Need a sim card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hippyharry, Aug 1, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Hi there.

Visiting Florida at end of August for 2 weeks. Rather than me using my UK sim while im there, I was thinking of getting a Pay as you go sim card while there just to keep data charges down and such.

I know its a holiday, but I like to play with Gowalla, so its more of something just to keep my costs down rather than using the O2 sim card ive got from the UK.

Its an iPhone 4 ive got, so, need a micro sim, or quite happy to get a mini sim, and I can cut it down myself with scissors.

2. macrumors regular

First, you need to make sure that your UK iPhone 4 is unlocked. I'm not sure if they are or not.

Second, you're probably going to need to get a Pre-Paid SIM here in the US. Here's a good thread for that:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=970663

But they say the data is quite expensive. Goodluck! Florida is nice!

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Yupp, its unlocked.

Bought it direct from Apple. :)

4. macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

It is expensive, you are right. With AT&T, it's 100MB for $20.00.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

That is crazy charges for data.

In the UK, for £5 per month with giffgaff, you get 100minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet (completely unlimited internet).

How the heck can the american companies charge so much?

6. macrumors regular

The reason you're coming to the US. The weather is great, people have nice teeth and the food choices are a little more than fish and chips.

7. macrumors member

So you are saying that the data charges are low in Alaska??

8. macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's " prepaid", so pretty much the carriers can charge whatever they want. If customers want better rate plans, they need to sign up for a postpaid plan. However, in your case, this wouldn't work, as you are not going to be in the US for very long.

9. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah that's the exact point I was just going to back. Pre-paid prices are always much higher. Still lower than roaming though, and gives you the ability to dial locally without having to pay an arm and a leg.

Make sure you pack shorts, it's been incredibly hot here in FLA! :)

10. macrumors 601

That giffgaff tariff is actually prepaid too.

11. macrumors 68040

eastercat

Pre-paid is usually used by the poor and people with bad credit. Of course, the lack of regulations in this country means the phone companies are free to screw over prepaid customers. It's the same case with mortgages and loans.

12. thread starter macrumors regular

Thats a hell of a statement to make that prepaid is for poor people.

Where earlier I had said that the Giffgaff deal, that is actually prepaid. Its better than most contracts available.

What about T-mobile? Do they have good data deals?

13. macrumors 65816

No, T-Mobile does not.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

Thats gutting :(

So my only choice is AT&T for $20 for 200mb data?

15. macrumors 6502

PirateP

This is a joke, right? Holy generalization, Batman. Guess you've never been to England, have you?