visited links don't show up as visited?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flyfish29, Apr 20, 2004.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I think I remember using Netscape long ago (yuk) and it would know which links I have already visited and made them a different color.

Does Safari do that? I sure can't figure out how.

If Safari does it how long does it keep the links as visited?

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Do you mean when Safari shows the rest of the link when you start typing recent one? (i.e. if I type "mac" in the URL bar it would add "rumors" on after it.

If this is what you mean (I sometimes find this feature annoying, too), you can get rid of this by periodically deleting your history.

3. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I don't know the details but it does do it. You need to refresh a page for a link to change to the 'visited' colour though.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

It will keep the link as visited as long as it is in the Safari history cache. You can access this by clicking the little book looking icon in the menubar.

5. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Nope, not this.

6. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I have tried refreshing, clicking the link several times and all kinds of other things. Is it possible that I have it set somplace to make both kinds of links blue (visited and unvisited). I can't find a thing in SAfari preferences that lets me change that. I think I used to be able to in Netscape. Still puzzled. :confused:

7. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

It doesn't seem to do it for all links, but most of them do. Follow the following steps to find out definatively if it's working or not, as it should work for this link:

1. Go to www.google.com/about.html
    2. Go to www.google.com
    3. The 'About Google' link at the bottom of the page should be coloured purple

If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what the problem is. If it's really bothering you you could try deleting/moving various Safari files from your Library. ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfig.plist looks as though it could be a possible source. You could also try running Safari from a different user account to see if the problem is isolated to your Library folder. Also try other browsers, I've tried 10 and they all have this feature.

8. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Thanks so much...it does work for google. Weird thing is it doesn't work for Macrumors or the Apple/netscape home page which was the home page on safari when I got it I think. Works on some links with USA today.com so maybe it has more to do with the web sites and if they have certain things set up like link color preferences, etc. I remember seeing something in Netscape about "using web site defaults" or something like that which I took to mean that web sites could default certin colors to links and certain fonts, etc.

Thanks so much for your time.

Johnny