Visiting Apple Stores

Discussion in 'Community' started by stubeeef, Nov 21, 2004.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I find myself on the road with a lot of time off, and searching for an Apple Store, been to Tucson, Phoenix, Mission Viejo, Walnut Creek, Tampa, Orlando, Chicago, Charlotte, & Mall of America. I'm going from memory and think that is a complete list.

Anyway, my last one was in Chicago, on the miracle mile, and it was by far the fanciest of all so far. I loved it.

I will be going to the new one in Newark DE on monday. Great diversion.

Anyway, which ones have you been to and how nice was it, anyone been to a mini yet?

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Austin, Houston, LA, San Francisco.

wish I could go to more :( ;).

scem0

3. silentrage macrumors member

Inquiring minds want to know...

Are you just going to be in ambience of an Apple store?
    What is the fascination with visiting the various stores?
    Are purchasing anything?

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It's the Magnifecent Mile, buddy. ;) It's a great store there on Michigan Ave., I agree. I've found the people more informative in the Skokie store. I think the first Apple Store I ever visited (one of the first built in the country) was in Schaumburg. I was in Chicago for an interview.

I've also been to the store in Durham and the one in Charlotte. I was very anxious for the Charlotte store to open so that I could get my Apple fix on short order when back home.

5. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

oak brook, woodfield, north michigan avenue, old orchard (all those are in chiago area), soho, columbus, cincinnati, and regent st (aka london) so far :D

6. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I have been to the Michigan Avenue one and the one in Des Peres, MO (St. Louis)

The Michigan Ave one was amazing! I took a whole bunch of pictures in there, and the store was pretty crowded! I HAVE to go back there sometime!

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

in the VA/DE/MD area- all of them at one time or another.

8. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Silent, I'm a corp pilot and try to fill time on multi day trips, so going to an apple store is my treat. I should find a gym and workout, but that is another subject.
    Sometimes I go with a problem, or software questions. Lately to look at an ipod-photo, which is high on the wish list (dual G5 2.0 is #1).
    I usually buy something for my kids emac, reader rabbit or recently bumpercar (haven't loaded it yet).
    But I feel good and find myself smiling as I approach the store, and 2 hours can pass in a blink of an eye.
    Also I can play on the internet at the store, my co gave me an old laptop 3 yrs ago...win98 sony....I hate it. Begged for a 12" pb, getting a dell x300.

One nice thing about going to the stores is that they are not cookie cutter, all the same, but all very similar. Mich Ave was AWESOME. :D

9. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

the one here at the cherry creek mall is pretty nice. allways packed though. usually about a 10 minute wait for assistance.

10. silentrage macrumors member

Thanks for the reply stubeeef. I guess you should do what makes you happy. :)

I find it interesting that so many people just go about visiting Apple stores. Happy visiting! :cool:

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Funny story

Does anybody want to hear my story about visiting the Apple Store in Santa Monica, California yesterday? Yes? Well, OK, if you insist.

I was out in Santa Monica doing some early shopping yesterday, so I stopped into the Third Street Promenade Apple Store, just in time to hear the staff yell "uno, dos, tres, catorce!" (you can probably guess why) just as the big screen started its latest playback loop.

I was wearing a silly T-shirt my parents gave me:

[​IMG]

While I was looking at software and being amused to notice that they had MS Office on the shelf for $400 right next to a pre-packaged "Panther version" of OpenOffice+Gimp for $40, a man standing nearby asked me some questions about moving from Windows to Mac. While I was answering, I realized that he had assumed that I worked for Apple because I had a black shirt on, like the Apple staff wears, despite the silly picture on mine. The real black shirts have an Apple logo, and I guess he figured that black is black.

He went off to plan his purchase, none the wiser. I told one of the Apple guys (who had showed me an iPod Photo earlier) that I was mistaken for an Apple employee but it was OK since I knew what to say, and he just laughed and said "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" :)

There was another Apple employee showing off Sherlock to new-to-Mac visitors. I asked him whether there was a Sherlock channel I could get to show me my local TV Guide (because tvguide.com is still not adhereing to standards and as a result doesn't work right with Safari). He said there are lots of channels available online, and he did a quick Google search to show me. And what was his first hit? Why this, of course! :cool:

I innocently ( :rolleyes: ) asked if MacRumors was a good site for Macintosh information, and he said "sure, there are lots of good Mac sites".

12. jherrling macrumors newbie

The Carousel Mall's mini just opened up near me and I was there for the opening day and I got a t-shirt out of it. Thie line was 100x longer than I thought it would be, being that it's central NY and there is nobody here. I was expecting maybe 20 to 50 people in line so I didn't arrive until 10 for the opening. The line stretched down 1/2 the length of the mall. I really didn't get to look around because I don't like the whole getting trampled thing. So I ran in got the software I wanted and ran out. I'll probably go back after thanksgiving to really see what was inside. I've also been to the stores in Buffalo, NY and King of Prussia, PA stores. Both of those were just stops on other trips into the area.

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I have been to the SOHO Apple store, the King of Prussia Store, and the Bridgewater store. I was at the Bridgewater store on the opening day, and I got a t-shirt:)

14. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Thats the only one =(

15. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I've been to CambridgeSide, Peabody, and the one in Hartford, Ct.
    I actually visited the one in Cambridge just yesterday and it was totally packed.

16. theimacguy macrumors regular

theimacguy

No Walt Whitman!

Dont go to the Walt Whitman Apple store in New York! Here is my story. I went there to look at it and compare it to the Roosevelt Field and Palisades stores (palisades was the nicest i've ever seen) I went in, and i went up to this crazy guy who worked there and asked him a few questions about the iMac G4 (before it was discontinued) and he started yelling at me saying i didnt need a mac and to go to the Best Buy across the street and buy a crappy dell. I just ran the hell out of there. Never again. I'm scared to go back there :p

17. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Twice a year I am required to get "re-current" training in a simulator, the only one in the world for the plane I fly is in DE. I have a sim partner that flies for Sandal resorts out of Nassau. He is 55-60yrs old, good guy. We are eating dinner after our first 6 hour sim and he says he just bought a computer. I ask what did ya get, expecting dell, hp, gw. "I got an apple". I high-five the guy, he went to the new apple store in newark or new castle-christiana mall.

He says he got sick of maintaing his windows computers and just did it. So I'm helping him set up his new 12" pb/msoffice/btmouse. He is loving it, and says tonight, lets not go back to the apple store 2morrow, I keep wanting to buy more stuff.

Apple stock up nearly 7 bucks today. Why? ipods and 55yr old guys sick of wintel crap, loving the apple store!