Visiting Chicago (Places to go? any suggestions?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by uspcommuter, Aug 21, 2005.

1. uspcommuter macrumors regular

Hey Y'all,

In the mist of working two jobs, I almost forgot about my trip to chicago which will happen in less than 5 hours. I will be in Chicago for 4day/3nights. I will be staying near grant park. everyone where do you suggest me to go for the following:

FOOD: Prices not a problem. Gotta try the pizza.

Bars: Any place that has a good selection of beer.

Museums: My boss suggested the science and industry museum. Anyothers?

Landmarks: Navy pier and Hancock Tower. Any thing else?

Baseball game: Wrigley I guess if the prices are not too high.

Anything else? Please post your suggestions. Speaking of which please also reccommend a cyber cafe too.

THanks much.

2. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

3. gorman macrumors member

I've been to Chicago a good amount this year, and here are a few places I recommend:

Pizza:
    Pizzeria Uno or Due (same place, just the name of two locations)

Lunch:
    Big Bowl - Really great pan-asian place, multiple locations
    Pot Belly - Awesome sandwiches, multiple locations
    Mr. Beef - Gotta try their italian beef sandwiches

Breakfast:
    Tempo Cafe - Open 24/7 - best breakfast food I've had

Dinner:
    Wildfire - Incredible steaks, fantastic service

Stuff to do:
    Museum of Science & Industry - I'd only go right now if you're interested in an exhibit about the human body. I didn't see it (I ended up seeing something else there, which wasn't so great), but friends said it was very interesting. Buy your tickets online, otherwise you'll have to wait in line for 45 minutes.

Sears Tower - If you're okay with sitting through a boring 10 minute movie and paying 15 dollars, the view up top is quite cool. Lots and lots of tourists, as you would expect.

I was there primarily for concerts, so I didn't get to eat at as many nice restaurants for dinner as I would have liked to. I sure found some great lunch spots though :)

Have a good time, and be prepared for either a lot of walking or a lot of money spent on transportation!

4. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

5. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

FOOD: ( THERE IS SOOO MUCH GREAT FOOD THERE, Polish, Russian, Checz..)
    LaLos Restaurant (Mexican) 2747 West 63rd Street
    Las Mananitas (Mexican)(Dont attempt if your a homophobe) 3523 N Halsted
    Portillo's Hot Dogs (MUST! CHICAGO STYLE WITH EVERYTHNG!)100 W Ontario
    Billy Goat Tavern (MUST) 430 N. Michigan Ave at Lower Level
    Famously portrayed on "Saturday Night Live" in the mid-'70s (cheezeborger, no fries - chips)

Museums: (all are great) I always visit the The Art Institute of Chicago Museum(its like my sancuary, cant explain it), Shedd Aquarium is great

Landmarks: The Old Water Tower Pumping Station in Chicago, Sears Tower

Have fun!
    :( Can you bring me back some comfort food :( A Chicago style hotdog with everything will do, or a cheezeborger from the Billygoat :eek: Please!

6. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I live here in Chicago (yes, in the city NOT the burbs, about a mile and a half from Wrigley Field) and I would never want to live anywhere else, at least in the US.

Pizza- I agree with Uno and Due, but also try Gino's East.

Beer- There is probably no better place for beer than the Hopleaf Bar and Grill around the the corner from my apartment. The selection is amazing, with beers from around the world. The address is: 5148 N. Clark St. Go- you won't be disappointed. You may also want to try the Map Room: 1949 N. Hoyne.

Museums- DEFINITELY do Science and Industry! Also try the Art Institute or The Museum of Contemporary Art. The Field Museum is OK, but I'm always a bit underwhelmed there. Oh- and there's the Shedd Aquarium as well.

Landmarks- also go to Millenium Park. It's the most stunning public space I've ever seen.

Baseball- well, yes Wrigley Field (although I'm slowly defecting to the White Sox). :)

Cybercafe- Wow, there are so many now. The best are in the neighborhoods and non-Starbucks because Wi-Fi is free. You'll have to venture out of downtown for that. Filter in Wicker Park is a good one, as well as Cafe Avanti on Southport Ave (west of Wrigley).

Other than that, have fun and explore the city. Take public transportation- it's cheap, and driving/parking in Chicago is not fun. I haven't owned a car in years! Also, don't make the mistake of staying downtown the whole time. Try the neighborhoods, like Wicker Park and Chinatown. The city is HUGE. Even those are really only the tip of the iceberg.

8. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm Interesting...well I am from philly so hopefully the transition isnt that bad. Thanks for the suggestions. However I want to narrow down the cybercafe b/c I wont have a laptop or pda with me...would that help? :)

Anyways two hours before I depart and enjoy some good ol deep dish. :-D

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There is a cyber cafe called Screenz that will have everything you need. 2717 N. Clark in Lincoln Park. That's pretty close to downtown, but still a little bit of a trip. Take the #22 Clark bus north from downtown to get there. Sorry, but there are no cyber cafes downtown that I know of. Downtown is pretty much an entertainment/business district. Remember, you're coming to the 3rd largest city in the US (used to be second until LA annexed their burbs). It's a big place and things are kind of spread out.

10. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're welcome and come back soon. Don't be afraid to ask for directions either. People here are very friendly and will be more than happy to help. If you've been to NYC, you'll find this a very different experience-in a good way.

12. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

DUE? uh...kinda missed that...is that another branch of UNO or another place?

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Same thing, different location.

14. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

Well I dont care much for NYC, thats why I stayed in Philly. I must say they are pretty similar but Philly people are slightly (very marginaly) nicer than NYC people. :) I guess its a Northeast thing. :)

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then you'll have a great time here! My friends who visit from NYC are always shocked at how nice people are here. I find New Yorkers rude, but I still like to visit quite a bit. :)

let us know how your trip is! I'm going to bed.

16. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

FOOD: Giordanos or Edwardos for stuffed pizza. UNO or DUE for deep dish.

Museums: Shedd Aquarium, Art Institute of Chicago, Field Museum.

Landmarks: Water Tower, Sears Tower, Millenium Park.

Baseball game: If you wanna watch a team lose, go see the Cubs. If you wanna see the best team in baseball, see the White Sox.

17. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

Hahahahahahaha

18. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Whoever said Gino's East for pizza, I second and third that! But don't order a large one unless you are with a big group of people. Half of a small one is the most I was ever able to eat at once.
    Man, I used to live in Chicago, and reading this thread is making me nostalgic! Make time to walk along the lakeshore. There is a nice park there with a jogging/cycling track.

19. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

Walking on the lakeshore? What street?

Nice Park? Grant or Licholn or ???

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why in the world did you leave? The only way you could get me to leave is in a pine box (or offer me a job in Berlin, Germany complete with German lessons :) ).

21. gernb macrumors regular

Food:

Chicago Oven Grinder and Pizza Co. at Clark and Armitage in Lincoln Park. Greek salad, Mediterranean bread, pizza...amazing.

22. dxm113 macrumors member

I've just moved to the chicago area in May, so for what it's worth. . .

Buy a "city pass" , you get access to the museums, acquarium, John Hancock Observatory, etc for ~$50 (good deal!)

You MUST dine at the Capital City Grille (on St. Clair). Best damn food I ever had! Great service. Great atmosphere.

The architecture boat tour is awesome. Located on the Chicago River near Navy Pier.

Rent a bike from navy pier, bike / walking path is right along the lake (cant miss)

Check to see if anybody is playing at the House of Blues, great place to see a concert, pretty good bar otherwise

I prefer Giordano's Pizza

Catch one of the Second City comedy shows up in "old town"

ask the concierge at the hotel to clarify any of these suggestions liste by the MR members, I must say they are all quite good!

The hancock observatory at night is amazing, great view of the city. . .absolutely stunning. In fact, I just asked my girl to marry me there on Saturday night (luckily she said yes!)

23. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

Alright I am here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally... well first stop is to get me some Pizza. Secondly, Congrats on the proposal :) I wish mine will go just as well :). Anyways, where can I get a city pass?

And where is "old Town", newb here....dont know where everything is....Help!!! alrighty...back to my deep dish. Cyaz all in a few hours.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Old Town begins at North Ave and Wells. Then walk south and enjoy. :) Remember, you won't get to see even a fraction of the city in 4 days. That's why you'll have to come back.