visiting cincinnati

Discussion in 'Community' started by question fear, Apr 3, 2005.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I am being sent to a training in Cincinnati, Ohio in a few weeks. I don't know anything about the city, but half the people I talk to say it's a great place to visit, and the other half make a face and mumble something about visiting the hotel bar a lot.
    I will most likely have free time in the evenings, so I am more interested in what sort of relatively easy to find, inexpensive nightlife exists there (if any). Otherwise, I will be taking advantage of working for a bookstore and bring a lot of books.
    Bear in mind I am from Massachussetts by way of New Jersey, so the midwest is a foreign (and admittedly intimidating) place for me.

:)
    -Carly

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If nothing else, you should try the Skyline Chili, or even Gold Star Chili. Cincinnati has a totally different take on it.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Be sure to ask where you can see the Mapplethorpe exhibit. ;)

4. voiceofreason macrumors newbie

Cincy nightlife

Not sure what your taste in nightlife is or where you are staying, but here's a few ideas:
    The Blind Lemon in Mt Adams - very small bar with outdoor patio (and a fire if its cold) and somtimes has live (mellow) music; hidden but locals should know it

Downtown Main St. - not as hoppin as it used to be but a bar scene

Newport of the Levee - can get full of teenagers but good movie spot close to downtown, some bars/resturants and a late night B&N

Reds Game - check their schedule

There is a moderate live music scene around-look at citybeat.com for some schedules.

If you are a vegetarian as your tag suggests, you may have to try a little harder at resturants than you are used to doing. You can find good veg., but its not everywhere.
    Hope this helps. Post any q's you might have...

5. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Things to do in the Queen City

Among the things to see downtown Cincinnati....

1. Fountain Square. (Remember the TV sitcom "WKRP in Cincinnati"? The Tyler Davidson Fountain is beautiful, and they've recently turned it on again with the return of warm weather.

2. The Roebling Suspension Bridge. (Designed by John Roebling in the late 1860s. He went on to design the more famous lookalike span; the ever-for-sale-to-the-unsuspecting Brooklyn Bridge.)

3. Nicholson's. (If you like fine British ale and Irish stout, you'll love Nicholson's. Nice Scottish-style pub with good comfort food. Located just north of Sixth and Walnut streets on Walnut.)

4. Blind Lemon. (A few dollar cab ride up into Mt. Adams but definitely worth the fare. If you're they're on the right night, you'll get to meet Jerry Springer.)

5. Graeter's Ice Cream. (On Fourth Street -- can't think of the nearest cross street, but directions should be no problem. Very good!)

6. Carew Tower. (Corner of Fifth and Vine Streets. Tallest building in Cincinnati and the $2 to go to the observation deck on the 40-story + building is well worth it.)

Should get you off to a good start. Enjoy your stay.

6. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

I'm not too worried about the veggie thing, i am a veggie but i am used to being flexible, and i've found most restaurants are cool with being accomodating if you are polite and understanding.

The suggestions in this thread are great, I will definitely bring them with me for reference! Hopefully there will be time to play, it looks from our schedule it's training in the hotel all day, but ending most days between 5-6. So nightlife will definteily be the only thing I see.

Just in case, I checked out the hotel's website, and they seem to be pretty decent. Should be a fun trip. I leave Saturday and return Wednesday night, so if the suggestions here pan out I will definitely pop back and let everyone know!

Thanks!
    -C