visiting Mexico

Discussion in 'Community' started by bemylover, Aug 24, 2005.

1. bemylover macrumors regular

i'm planning visiting Mexico either sometime near Christmas or on the spring break. can anyone with experience give me some helpful piece of advice?

where is the best place to go? i am looking for having good time at exotic beaches rather than learning about Aztec or Maya cultures; although the latter would be nice too.

when is the best time to go? (more fun and cheaper)

and anything else you think would be good to know.

2. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Get the Lonely Planet guidebook (or the one that AAA has) and just read it cover to cover.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I love love love Cuernavaca but it is neither sunny beachy nor is it Aztec/Mayan... it's just a hip little city w/ a nice homey feel and gorgeous homes (you can't tell from the street, you have to actually go into the homes-- I went twice for an exchange program in high school).

Otherwise, classics are Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, gosh for some reason I can't think of that totally overdone city... starts w/ a "C" er. Major brain fart, sorry... Personally, I really really want to see Puerto Vallarta.

Taxsco (sp?) is a great tiny city up in the mountains, reknowned for its silver. One key to knowing if something is legit silver is that there should be a tiny "925" stamped in/on somewhere. The Guadalajara region is also popular... er. If I think of more, I'll holler.

4. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Cancun? That would be a great place for spring break. A lot of young people, parties, beach,sun, fun and music.

5. bemylover thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys.
    do you mean Cancun?

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Haha, thanks, I knew it was so blatantly obvious that somebody else would recall... Well, from my Mexican "sisters" they say that Acapulco and Cancun are absolutely atrocious now (like the last 5 or so years) because every spring break-er goes there and trashes the beach/city. That's why I suggested some of the other places... unless of course, you don't mind that sort of thing. More flesh and eye-candy I suppose. But just remember, there are trade-offs w/ going that route-- those inexperienced partyers are much more likely to not know their limits: i.e. think pukey pukey right when you're about to make a move! :eek: ;)

7. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I lived in Guadalajara for this past summer and I've been vacationing in Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta, so I have a bit of knowledge on the subject.

Unfortunately, it is my anniversary today and I have to get running.

I'll just tell you quickly that for the sake of pure vacationing, I wouldn't suggest either Cancun or Puerto Vallarta; they have both been so aggressively exploited for vacationers that they have passed their prime. If you want to be on the west coast, definitely go to Nuevo Vallarta; it is just north of PV and MUCH nicer. If you want to be on the east coast, go to Cozumel; it is a beautiful island with a lot to do. Just don't plan on taking the ferry to the mainland, it is disgusting and you *will* vomit a lot.

PM me if you want more info, I would love to talk to you more about it some other day.

Te vaya bien

8. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

It's Taxco, and yes it is a wonderful city with colonial architecture. It sort of looks like a Italian seaside town IMO. No beaches/young teens partying, sorry.

And Cancun is not all that cheap, especially after you add up the cost of what you plan to do. I do suggest that if you are within an area that does have some Aztec/Mayan ruins that you should visit them. Be a little more cultural than the average Spring Breaker.

You could avoid the tourist city of Cancun and stay at some of the hotels that are located away but still right next to the Caribbean. I stayed at the Bahia Principe Tulum. I'll post pics later.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm kicking myself now... I actually first typed it like that and then changed it... haha, thanks! :eek:

10. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Cozumel sounds great. Cancun doesn't sound like a very nice place, it seemed to me like a perfect fit for spring breakers, but I've never been there.

I have been to the Cayman's (15 years ago) and it was a fantastic vacation.

11. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Here are some pics that I took in March 2002 of Bahia Principe Tulum (I hope that is the right spelling). The hotel is right in between the city of Cancun and the ruins of Tulum.

Attached Files:

12. bemylover thread starter macrumors regular

that's what i meant by saying

;)

13. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Cancun is a commercial armpit. If you have to be in that area got to Isla De Mujeres, a small island about 1/2 hour by boat from Cancun is much better - not commercial, cheap hotels, great food, drink, snorkeling, beaches. You can get around the island by taking cabs, renting cheap scooters or golf carts.

If you're going all the way down there you HAVE TO go to some Maya ruins. Sure, you've seen them in picture books but the reality of these sites is just staggering. You can take a couple hour bus ride through the jungle from Cancun to Chichén Itzá. Simply amazing. These people were building Observatories, Pyramids, Ball Courts, Festival Halls, etc. all when Europeans were basically living in huts eating dirt. If you do go there be sure to break away from your tour and do it on your own - you'll see a lot more. Just pick up a book and walk the grounds yourself - make sure you get back to the bus on time though.

I know, sit on a beach with a cocktail vs a bus tour to ruins - what to do - do both - how often will you be there?

14. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I should be ashamed of myself. I am Mexican and I have not been to half the places mentioned here (I know about them, of course). But then again, I don't vacation much, in or outside of Mexico.

I think Cancun is a good choice if you don't go during springbreak because you get both, the exotic beaches and the Mayan experience (there aren't actual Mayan ruins in Cancun but there are plenty of them in that region). The other places mentioned in this thread are also pretty good. Have fun and welcome :)

15. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

One last quick thing...

While I loved Guadalajara, I wouldn't suggest going there to vacation. It is kind of a dirty city (ok, ok, to me... I know it is no Mexico City) and it isn't near the water.

However, if you like the clubbing scene, Guadalajara is for you! I suggest going to: Nuts, El Capitol, Valle Bar, etc.

Other than that, there isn't a whole ton to do in Guadalajara.

16. OCOTILLO macrumors regular

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I hope you're just kidding.

18. OCOTILLO macrumors regular

Not kidding at all. You could not pay me enough to travel to Mexico.

19. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Depends on the type of beach you want

Puerto Vallarta has rocky beaches, at least the ones I saw.
    The water is dark but clear.
    Nothing like the Caribbean waters around Cozumel with the sugar white sand. Then again, Florida's Emerald Coast or the Keys is hard to beat for that.

Just be careful and don't go it alone... Ever heard of Natalee Holloway?

20. bemylover thread starter macrumors regular

no, what about her?

21. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

umm... Aruba is not in Mexico.

You don't have to worry about these sort of things in tourist locations like Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, etc. Mexico City is dangerous if you don't know your way around, but it's not a beach so you probably won't be going there.

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

This comment reminded me of "A Day Without Mexicans" :D
    Aruba is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
    x

23. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

just dont go to mexico city and youll be fine. im myself am goign to puerto vallarta to visit family etc this december.......

24. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I understand this sentiment. Having been there a couple of time I have no desire to return. The Mayan ruins are amazing and the Mexican culture is something to at least experience. As far as pure rest and relaxation-style vacations go you can get great beaches in tons of places that aren't as 3rd world though. There's something very depressing (white American guilt) about traveling in 3rd world countries and personally I've felt more freaked out and depressed than relaxed after returning from my trips to Mexico.

I'm not saying I want to totally isolate myself from the harsh realities that exist in 3rd world places - there are vacations I have taken specifically to get deeper into those issues. It's just that if I want a beach and cocktail atmosphere Mexico wouldn't be the first place that would come to mind.

25. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

The America girl on her Senior class trip who went missing in Aruba the night before she was to return to the states.

Yea, I know it's not Mexico, but Mexico is still a foreign country and U.S. laws don't apply and can't help you if you get into trouble.

The point is BE CAREFUL.