Visiting the US. Probably San Fran

Discussion in 'Community' started by Danrose1977, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

I have been thinking of visiting San Fransisco for some time now, and was wondering if anyone living there would recomend the essential places to see while there (Aside from the apple store!).

Also if anyone wants to suggest anywhere else in the US to visit, tell me and let me know why!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Well, the wine country is very nearby and it can be a real blast visiting the vineyards (and getting free samples). On the other hand, this might not be terribly impressive coming from Europe, where you have easy access to the French and Italian wine regions.

Most Europeans seem to be most impressed by the Grand Canyon, which is so different from anything in Europe.

You could also visit the Redwood forests or Sequoia National Park, to see some freakishly large trees.

But who am I to give you advice? I live in North Carolina (nothing to see here, unless you're into stock car racing....)
  3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

May 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    I can suggest many places to visit in San Francisco. Besides all of the usual tourist places, there are many great places to eat and enjoy our wonderful scenery. When you have an idea of when you’re going to come over here or have a specific kind of question about the City, send me a PM and I'll be glad to give you some recommendations.
  4. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    well, standard things to do would be ride the cable car, golden gate bridge, alcatraz and chinatown...

if you are interested in "american" sporting events, baseball game would be good. giants games are expensive and harder to get tickets for but at a very nice (probably one of the best) baseball stadium. oakland athletics tickets are much easier/cheaper to come by.
  5. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Well, there is alot to see on the West I live in Oregon, I cannot comment on specifics in California...assuming you have some time, money and a rental car...I would recommend traveling up the coast on Highway 1...some breathtaking coastal mentioned before, the Redwoods in N. Cali are definitely worth a visit. Oregon and particularily Washington are also worthy for their scenery...the Olympic Peninsula is awe-inspiring, but a good 24 hr drive from San far a cities go (apart from San Fran), you might want to check out San Diego...good beaches, great zoo and central park...also you could check out Tijuana across the border in Mexico (not pretty, but interesting)...if you want to drive, Seattle and Vancouver BC are fabulous cities and the city I live in, Portland is not too shabby either, though not much of a tourist hotspot...PM me if you have further questions, I know the NW rather well, and I'd offer a fellow Brit a drink if you passed through my locale...
  6. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2003
    Wakayama, Japan
    If you are going to be in the bay area definitely check out Fishermans Wharf. Also San Fran is not that far from a nice little place called Cupertino, CA. While you're there why not check out Apple HQ itself!
  7. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    Sf there a place that serves than long crab, i forgot the name but if ur there check it out get it with garlic noodles yum yum
  8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    totally cool
    San Francisco has the best food on the west coast

After living in SF for 5 years, the main thing I miss since moving away is the fantastic restaurant selection.

The best fine dining is "The Boulevard" just across from the ferry building. Expensive and delicious. Excellent presentation and atmosphere. A MUST!

The best Thai food. Osha's Thai Noodle on the corner of Geary and Levenworth. Not expensive and awesome. Go there for Lunch. Order the Spicy Chicken and string bean.

Excellent Chinese Food everywhere. Especially Henry's Hunan just off of New Montgomery across from the academy of Art College 180 Building.

Be Sure to visit the Yerba Buena Art Center and The Sony Metreon and the Museum of Modern Art all located around Mission and 5th St.

North Beach is also a must. Calzone, Moose's and The Stinking Rose and many others line Coloumbus avenue. Make sure you round off your night at the Bubble Lounge at the base of the trans-america Building at the end of Columbus.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Have fun.
  9. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2004
    I was at the Giants game yesterday and my goodness what a gorgeous day it was. BTW - It's the City or SF, or the Sucka Free if that's how your roll, but never San Fran or Frisco. :)

The guidebooks are really good at pointing you to the popular tourist destinations: Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, Lombard Street, the Painted Ladies, etc. Good side trips would be Napa Valley (as someone suggested) or Monterey.

If I had to take someone who's never been this is what I would try to do:

Have a drink at the Top of the Mark which, as you might have guessed is on the top floor of Mark Hopkins International hotel. Great views of the City. Also credited for intenting the martini.

Someone suggested seeing a baseball game at SBC Park and I will suggest it again. Look for tickets on ebay, craigslist or the Giants Double Play Ticket Window. Two words: garlic fries.

Have dim sum at New Asia in Chinatown (Pacific Ave.) or Ton Kiang in the Richmond district (on Geary around 22nd. Ton Kiang is my favorite, but New Asia would be fun for tourists because it's HUGE. Go on a Sunday morning for brunch.

Have a slice of pizza at Blondie's in Union Square. The pizza's not spectacular and the people are rude but everyone gets a slice at Blondie's.

If it's open, have another drink at the Cliff House Restaurant at Ocean Beach. (According to the website, it's closing for rennovation).

OK I guess I'm pretty useless for suggestions on the culture front. Everything I like to do involves eating and drinking. But hey you're on vacation! :)
  10. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2004
    Crustacean on Polk?
  11. goodwill macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2004
    I just literally got back from San Francisco with my girlfriend and I must commend the city on being completely extraordinary and gorgeous. San Francisco does America right. My girlfriends dad is a pilot for a large airline and we come by free buddy passes regularly and I must say after our trip to San Diego in October that our next trip had to be San Francisco. Completely beautiful, unbelievable whether. Union Square is how a downtown should be setup. We bought cable car, MUNI and BART passes, but we loved the city so much we just walked everywhere. We walked from Union Square to Chinatown and then to Fishermans Wharf. We were only there for the weekend, but we made it to the vineyards and Alcatraz amongst other places. But my truly favorite places were Presidio Park and The Palace of Fine Arts. I think these two places are often overlooked, but I have honestly seen nothing like these two places. Truly refined and beautiful. You can not go wrong in a city like this.
  12. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    Thanh Long (4101 Judah Street near 46 Ave; 665-1146)

thats the place :D
  13. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    San Francisco? -------------------------> Yosemite Nat'l Park!
  14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The Winchester House, south of San Fran, in San Jose is quite interesting. You might also find Japanese Village worthwhile.
  15. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    sf and surrounding areas:

besides the tourist places, gg bridge, and cable cars, just randomly going around to restaurants will be a joy in this city...just about everything is great

san francisco shopping center on market

golden gate park and the japanese tea house

san francisco museum of modern art on mission

sausalito in marin county across from the golden gate bridge

berkeley and telegraph avenue across from the bay bridge

silicon valley and the apple stores in that area, including the public hq store in cupertino

san rafael in marin county

there's much more but that's what's within an hour of downtown san francisco with rental car and traffic...a map may make other locations like wine country and santa cruz appear close, but they aren't with traffic
  16. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Aug 22, 2002

Sutro Baths.

Seems not many people go to this area just west of Golden Gate Park on the coast. At least in my experience. Used to be a bath house on the coast, now it's just ruins, but very interesting nonetheless. Lots of great views available of the ocean and if you follow the walking trails, you can see the Golden Gate bridge from the other side. It's my favorite part of the city.

Frankly I'd avoid Fisherman's Wharf. It's not all that exciting and everything is overpriced. The only good reason to go is for the Alcatraz tours. If you go on an evening tour, more of the admission price will go towards preservation of the island and you'll get to go on a tour or two of areas not open to the public during the daytime tour.

No one seems to have mentioned, bring a coat! Even in the summer months it can be downright cold. I've been there in August and experienced temperatures in the 50's.

If you can afford it, I'd stay at the Mark Hopkins. The beds are more comfortable than mine at home. Look for a restaurant called "Tadich Grill". It's in the business district and if you like seafood it is a real winner.
  17. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2003
    Wakayama, Japan
    I stand by my original assertion, its a lot of fun just to wander through the shops and check out the street performers.
  18. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    as for cost, san francisco is a moderately priced average of overpriced tourist haunts and bargain locals' secrets

when i was a student there, i learned about the low cost parking, restaurants, hotels, groceries, etc and if you somehow had foreknowledge of these secrets only locals know, san francisco is one of the cheapest cities in the world to stay at

lombard street has a lot of low cost motels which are close to everything and it's much cheaper than staying at the biggest, brightest highrise hotel in town

small locals restaurants are very reasonable compared to a tourist eatery like the hard rock cafe, for instance

park in the free spaces or low cost spaces just outside the main drag vs going to an obvious parking garage designed to ensnarl tourists

the small chinese dim sum houses are as good as the expensive chinese dim sum houses and the fancy joints get their stuff from the small, authentic dim sum houses and then mark up the price 500 percent for, you guessed it, the tourists

a rental car is much cheaper by the week and for san francisco, you want a smaller economy car because manuevering a large, expensive caddy, like they try and rent you at the airport is crazy in the city

the big streets...van ness, mission, and market have establishments in plain view designed to get the tourist dollar and many tourists come away from the city thinking everything is that expensive

also realize that you don't have to endanger yourself, by going to hunter's point, the soma, or the tenderlion, to get a good deal in town...and have a good time on the cheap

san francisco is the top tourist destination in the united states, per capita, so realize that it brings in a lot of scheisters out there to evercharge you for everything and anything they can get away with...the tourists in northern cal are the second gold rush ;)
  19. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2004

Good to know. When I plan my trip I know who to ask question of :D
  20. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    hire a car and drive up to the Pt Reyes National Seashore. ;)

or get a one way ticket to SF international, and a return from Sea-Tac and drive straight up through Northern California, Oregon and into Washington to Seattle, I did that over 2 weeks on my lonesome and loved every minute of it. :D and if you do that, then visit blackfox cos' he's offering a free beer! ;) :) :D