Visiting Tokyo soon, Need help!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rajj, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I will be visiting Tokyo soon, and I would like some information about the economic situation over there, so if anyone from Japan can relay some info, it would be appreciated!!

2. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I know there are some Japanese people on here!!!!

So help me out!!!

;) :p :D

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The situation hasn't really gotten that much worse in the last five years. Of course, it's been expensive in Japan in general, and Tokyo specifically, for quite a while.

i was last there in 1985 and the exchange rate has changed, there's more unemployment, and things cost more, but it's still Japan. :)

If you haven't done it, I would suggest you learn the Chinese characters for various train stops so you'll be able to buy tickets efficiently. Perhaps, the maps with prices have been upgraded with Romanization, but it's unlikely.

The worst thing I found was that Americans were constantly unable to travel without help.

If there's something I can tell you, I'll do my best to help. There is at least one person living in Japan right now who is frequently here.

4. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Thanx for the advice;)
    I know OSX supports Chinese characters, but I heard it is not efficient:mad: Is there any downloadble translators for Word: Mac?

5. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

yes, it does...but you're going to Japan! Chinese characters won't do you much good there.

My first bit of advice about Japan is that it isn't China.

6. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Duhhhh:p
    I know Japan isn't China:p

From what I have seen, Japan has supports three language characters:
    Katakana, Hiragana, and Kangi (Chinese characters)!!!

Correct me if I am wrong ;)

7. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

tokyo ni

e-coli,
    if you don't know for sure, ****!
    Kanji are chinese characters. Hiragana and Katakana are derived from Kanji. They are phonetic, Kanji can be sounded out from Kana writing. There are different kanji with the same kana sounding and pronunciation. You kan test this iin OSX by switching to Japanese (in the International prefs panel where you also change the style of clock,) and typing romaji like ka, ki , ku, ke, ko,
    it changes to kana. try typing nihon, it should change to Kanji if you have the setting right. enough already.

xrhajj, why are you going to japan? what will you do and how long will you stay. don't freak out it is not that strange.

1985! It is a little different now! But very much the same I am sure. Bozuzuka are still there and the biggest idiots also. I would like to shove a peice of rebar in thier wheels when they go by. Maybe you would like to explain what bousuzuka is, I think it is a synonym for idiot, maybe it was different in 1985.

learn Kanji? Ha! Maybe your are a auto didact idiot savant! Yes you can, but you can get a long by just thinking of them as symbols, play match the symbols. Most stations have the name in romaji or hiragana, which is not too hard to learn.
    the most important thing to learn?
    Toylee doko des ka?

8. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

going to Tokyo

seriously I am happy to answer questions about japan

and your lat is nearly the same as mine, 34.5

9. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I want to visit Japan because I love to travel;) :D

And besides, I heard Japanese woman like black men;) :D :p

Where do you live?

10. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I will more than likely stay in Nippon for two weeks or months or

years:confused: Depends on How I like it!!

11. iapple macrumors regular

ehem.

Well, I live in Japan, right in the heart of Yokohama, the second largest city, 1 hour away from Tokyo.

The easiest way to get around Japan is by train! We have a GREAT train system, and do not fear, a lot of the signs are in english too! If you go to the countryside, the situation might be different.

You will benefit, even though the prices are high, because of the exchange rate. 120 yen is equal to a dollar, so don't freak out when some body says 1000 yen for a dinner! (only about 8~9 dollars!)

If you're looking for computer stuff, go to "Akihabara", it's one stop from Tokyo station by train on the "Keihin-tohoku" line. There's Mac stuff too, although most are Japanese versions!

Good luck!

Chris

P.S. I don't know if that's true that Japanese girls like black men, but good luck!

12. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Arigato!!!
    I don't now if I spelled that right, but thanx for the info!!!

I plan to buy a translator!!!

P.S. In the United States, Asian women love black men, so

hopefully it is the same over there, even though there is not that

many in Japan!!;)

I also plan to visit Osaka, where the airport is an island!!;)

13. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

14. Dr. Distortion macrumors regular

Well, since I've been into 'unofficial manga translation business' I know some good links:

http://www.linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dict <-- good dictionary

http://www.animelyrics.com/jpop/ <-- for some nice karaoke practice :p

http://www.nuthatch.com/kanjicards/ <-- even more stuff to learn...

http://www.engrish.com/ <-- funny stuff you could encounter in Japan

http://www.maktos.com/jip.html <-- yet another course...

http://regultra.rice.edu/~brent/jal/brejal.htm <-- and another one :)

Let's hope you still have time to look through all those links :)

-Dr. D.

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I went to Japan over the summer. It wasnt the cleanest of all places but it was kinda cool. Very crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-ish. Especially when you are not in a city/town. Lots of temples and religeous places.

16. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

going to japan

romaji spelling is kind of beside the point. it was invented by westerners and approximates pronunciation.

so xrhajj, do you have a job lined up, and a visa, etc, any idea where you will live etc?
    are you an experianced IT professional?
    are you on your own, or is your employer making arrangements for you?

the kind of questions we can answer here are mere housekeeping.

there are no Apple stores in Japan, but there are many Apple retailers, few of whom speak english. Some of the little shops with only a couple of staff do though. You will see a lot of variety of stuff in them.

Japan not clean? Many peoples' houses and public buildings are much cleaner on average than in the US or europe.

and squat toilets . . . get ready for that!

17. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I am a computer/financial consultant, so I will be subsidizing the trip!!
    I have a passport, so I don’t need a visa do I?

I just remembered something; I have an old friend that lives in Tokyo!!!

Damn, how could I forget that!!!
    :D

18. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Thanx Dr. D!!:D

Those are some very interesting sites!!!

I am gonna have fun Learning Japanese!!;) :D

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

scem0:

It's true that parts of Japan, especially tourist sites are dirty from time to time but mostly the country is very clean. Don't step in a rice field though. You will find out what "organically grown" really means...eeewwww. Of course, inside buildings, as kansaigaijin said, are very clean.

I'm not sure where you were but I've been over most all of Honshu. I didn't see that movie, so I'm also not sure what that means--primitive perhaps?

Japan is everything that it was 500 years ago, but on a different level.

e-coli:

Even Japanese people call Kanji Chinese characters because that's what they are. Since World War II, many Kanji have been simplified. Recently, the Chinese government went about simplying their Chinese characters, but they've done it in another, totally incompatible way from Japanese. Before the simplifications, Japanese and Chinese could communicate in writing, some words have basic similarities in sound (the On reading). e.g. Chinese shao = Japanese sho.

xrhajj:

Canon makes the best electronic dictionaries, but make certain to get the extra words add-on. Without that it's not that useful. You need to choose for your level carefully though.

Fuji-Xerox recently had a speaking translating device. You would find a sentence which applied and you could have the machine speak the words for you. You could even add to certain sentences by selecting one of their choices.

20. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

21. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Just PM me with your MSN or AIM screen name, Ill be happy to answer any questions you may have...

irmongoose

22. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

what he really wants to know

is how to get to Rappongi,

and can he buy large size condoms in Japan?

23. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Re: what he really wants to know

What????:confused:

I'm assuming you are talking sex huh???:D :p

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Roppongi is an area of Tokyo where there are a lot of dance clubs, so almost anything can happen.

Of course, you could go to Kabuki-cho (Kabuki district) where the, ummm, services are run by the gangsters. No more Kabuki there. :(

Better to go to Akihabara and enjoy looking at all the electronics. :)

25. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

YEAH AND I LIVE IN ROPPONGI!!!

MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH!

Oh come on. Roppongi isn't that bad... anyone who says it's just a place for drugs, prostitution, and stuff like that is just.... immature. Or hasn't been there before.

It's like saying.. NYC is just a place where people rob and gangsters rule the place. Sure, all that stuff goes on, but there's so much other stuff that goes on there, too.

I dunno. It just pisses me off when people say those kinda things... especially when I've lived there all my life, you know. And, I can assure you, I am in no way corrupt. (Unless you call being a Mac Addict corrupt :p )

irmongoose