Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
Should be making a trip to the USA in October... a friend of my wife is getting married, so I'll tag along for the ride.

Been all around the world, twice over, but never to the USA.

I guess I've never really had an interest,

Anyway, I want to see Apple headquarters, Silicon Valley, Disneyland...

Cali, maybe Florida, NYC, heck I have no idea really.

I'm a real 'rollercoaster' fan... so would love to hit some big 'coaster' parks... I saw "King Da Ka" on the discovery channel and would love to ride that thing! haha, not sure where it is, but I think at a six flags?

I think the wedding will be somewhere in South Carolina (somewhere south anyway), I dont know details yet..

I guess I could do nyc, carolina, florida/miami on the one side, then shoot over to Cali, LA, San Francisco, Vegas... ?

I wonder if an 'around the world' ticket will be cheaper than trying to get to the USA then fly around the place. Or maybe I should hire a rag-top and drive it...

tell me what I should do! :)

Oh, interests, I'm into cars (like imports), so if there's car shows or race meet's on during that time, that would rock. I'm also into radio controlled cars (same again, race meets).. if I could fit in some events that I only usually read about, that would rock!

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
The highlights of the Northeast are well connected by commuter train routes, so you'll have no time getting between Boston, New York and Philadelphia or Washington D.C. if you want to go there. Look at Southwest and Jet Blue for flights between major cities.

Maybe it's because I live 10 minutes from Disneyland, but I'd say do to Disneyworld in Florida instead...it's larger with more parks.

On the west coast, you can easily drive between Los Angeles and Vegas...it takes a while, and it would be best not to do it on a weekend, especially a holiday weekend. You can also drive up the California coast between LA and San Francisco for nice scenic views, but ditch the car once you get into San Francisco as it has excellent public transportation and parking is a nightmare.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
cool! thanks for the tips...

I'm open to ideas.

I guess if I gave a little more info it would help, like how long I want to visit for.

I spose I could visit up to 3 weeks, but 2wks would maybe be a bit better, 3 will get expensive heh.

Fingers crossed I dont go there, love it, and want to move and work there.. *sigh* heh

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
Roller coasters

There are several Six Flags Parks. The one north of Los Angeles in Valencia California, opened a new coaster this year, Tatsu. Pretty good show about it on Discovery channel yesterday.
Just search for Six Flags, I'm sure you'll find several parks that you could get to easily.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Do realize that if you want to visit all of the destinations you've listed it's going to take you at least three weeks. That is a lot of tourism packed into one trip. An average American would probably spend 5 days to a week in each one of those places. I would recommend you cut one city from the east coast and one city from the west coast to make your trip a lot more feasible.

If you're truly truly crazy about roller coasters, consider visiting Cedar Point Amusement Park in Cleveland, OH. It by far has the best roller coasters in the country, including the 400 foot-tall Top thrill dragster. Otherwise consider visiting Six Flags Magic Mountain (near Los Angeles) if you don't feel like visiting Cleveland (I wouldn't blame you).

ShermDog

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Chicago
Definitely take a road trip around the country. I think the US is a great country to see by car--so many great small towns and great drives (e.g., Route 66, pacific coast highway, A1A in Florida).

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
instant LA...

So here is the quick and dirty Los Angeles guide (excluding Disneyland, which is one day and Six Flags Magic Mountain, which is another day). If you do a Studio Tour, go for Warner Bros. instead of Universal. Skip any tour of stars homes and the walk of fame (they're just a waste of time), the important part of Hollywood boulevard is centered around Grauman's but the sights shouldn't take more than a hour. The only thing for a tourist to see Downtown is the new concert hall, good cheap food is found here and look for food reviews in this paper. Funky shopping is on Melrose, the upscale stuff here, and the Santa Monica Promenade is a quick walk away from the beach. If you really want to see stars, you are likely to run into them at the Farmer's Market and this shop on Melrose.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Rent a car.

Drive on the right side of the road.

Add a minimum of 5MPH to whatever the posted speed limit is.

Tailgate and honk horn as needed.

It's okay to tell Americans you come across that you're from Australia. Chances are they will be happy to meet you, and desperately want to be your friend.

We only, truly, hate the French.

Bashing Bush is perfectly fine, but don't say anything bad about American troops, especially while in the Mid West or South.

[Edit - my apologies about mixing up Australia with New Zealand. I was not attempting to make a joke or mean any harm. I have now corrected my post. -Patrick]

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
The South is beautiful, espescally Northern Arkasnsas, and Eastern Oklahoma.

Florida is a little humid, but if you stay there a week, you'll get used to it.

California is beatiful, but I've only been there 3 times. Once to Lake Tahoe, Once to San Diego, and Once to San Fransisco.

You MUST see the Apple headquarters. So Cali is a must.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Maybe it's because I live 10 minutes from Disneyland, but I'd say do to Disneyworld in Florida instead...it's larger with more parks.

Wha?! but Disneyland is so classic! so original! all other Disneylands/Disneyworlds have always seemed so... fake to me. I don't know why.

So I'd definitely go for the original Disneyland. But be prepared to pay outrageously high prices. Unless your wife has a friend who works there, then you could get in for free if the friend is feeling generous. Thats what I do, I'm never paying (or waiting in lines :D :cool: ) again. :)

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
Wha?! but Disneyland is so classic! so original! all other Disneylands/Disneyworlds have always seemed so... fake to me. I don't know why.

So I'd definitely go for the original Disneyland. But be prepared to pay outrageously high prices. Unless your wife has a friend who works there, then you could get in for free if the friend is feeling generous. Thats what I do, I'm never paying (or waiting in lines :D :cool: ) again. :)

right, so I'll hook up with you before hand, so you can organise your friend to get us in? hahaha

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Florida is a little humid, but if you stay there a week, you'll get used to it.

We're from Australia, we're already used to it... :D

From an Aussie's perspective who has both lived and travelled in the US:

- LA is pretty much a s*ithole. Sorry to all you folks from LA but it's a dirty smelly boring city. Disneyland however is awesome no matter what your age, last time I went was about two weeks before the schools broke up for Chirstmas holidays and there was nobody there. We were getting off the rides and running right back round to the start, there was not a single person in the lines for Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, all the big rides. It was awesome.

- San Francisco is very pretty, get out and look around there, go see the Apple HQ and the company store, also take in the San Francisco store (the big one in the city).

- Boston is a construction zone - there's a lot of history and it's a fascinating town but they've been trying to figure out how to bury Pharaoh for the last ten years and as such The Big Dig has made an indelible effect on the town itself. Get out to places like Lexington and see some amazing places that were around before they'd even thought to look for ol' Terra Australis Incognito.

- I haven't seen the South or the Mid-West.

- The Grand Canyon is touristy but simply amazing.

- Seattle's a cool town.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
California is beatiful, but I've only been there 3 times. Once to Lake Tahoe, Once to San Diego, and Once to San Fransisco.

Haha yea, I'm in Southern California, it's winter at 8:39PM it's only 54° F. :)

Oh! which brings up a good point, you're in Australia, so plan for the opposite corresponding season, so it'll be Fall here in October.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

Oh! which brings up a good point, you're in Australia, so plan for the opposite corresponding season, so it'll be Fall here in October.

Yeah, we know all about the opposite season thing here - massive overload of US television means we grow up watching White Christmas whilst sitting about in our underware trying to stay cool.

You'd be amazed however how many folks from the states come over here with the wrong clothes - we don't get super cold in winter but it still gets nasty and it's worse when all you have is beach clothes. Living at a University college that was 30% US students gives you lots to laugh at sometimes when they unpack all their shorts and TShirts at the start of June whilst the rain pours down.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm not sure what you'd want to see in Miami. South Miami Beach is full of nightlife and North Miami Beach is quiet. Miami across the water is very Hispanic, so if you speak Spanish, it would be helpful, especially in some neighbourhoods.

Orlando has Seaworld, DisneyWorld, and Universal theme parks. It's a decent area with heavy, crazy traffic, and many motels/hotels. There are radio controlled car enthusiasts about 3 miles from me in a shopping mall car park every Sunday.

Daytona Beach is one of the biggest names in NASCAR racing.

NYC has a lot to see but it's expensive. You can stay across the river in New Jersey and it's a lot cheaper but still convenient. Philadelphia is interesting and has great food but no Broadway. It's about 15-18 hour car drive from Philadelphia to Floriduh.

On the other coast, Disneyland is in a good but very busy, expensive area. Petrol is much more expensive there than most places in the country but I noticed that it's somewhat cheaper than just 5 miles away. Los Angeles and Orange County have a lot to see but it's expensive, even in the not so nice areas.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Since moving from Melbourne to the US i've seen a lot of places, but the highlights were:
NYC - i can't say i'd want to live there (except maybe overlooking central park) but it's one of the most amazing experiences to spend a few days to a week there.
Grand Canyon - Unbelievably stunning. Best way to experience it is to hike down into the canyon. Vegas was also cool in a completely opposite and crazy way.
San Francisco - very nice city which kinda reminded me of melbourne.

I'd recommend to anyone who goes to the US to at least do these places; Also San Diego is great, Boston is nice, and there are some cool places in the south in Florida and the Carolinas.
I live in Atlanta, and it's a nice place to live, but maybe not much for a tourist unless you know people there.

Enjoy! Just don't take any Vegemite, or they'll bust you :D

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
The South

Be sure and make the Southern Unted States if at all possible. Tennessee, Georgia and the Carolinas are a must. New Orleans is pretty interesting, but also very dangerous now. The music scene in Nashville, Tennessee is very exciting and you never know who you wil see in the clubs. If you like motorcycles, the Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, Alabama is a must see. They have an excellent collection of bikes and some significant cars. Also a great track- lots of AMA and vintage racing as well as the Porsche Experience. Lastly, Southerners are the friendliest people on the planet and the food is great!
Have a great trip, I envy you.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Wha?! but Disneyland is so classic! so original!
LA is pretty much a s*ithole. Sorry to all you folks from LA but it's a dirty smelly boring city. Disneyland however is awesome no matter what your age

Strangely, the last time I went to Disneyland (about two years ago)...I thought that it's age was definitely showing. I grew up in No. Cal. and moved to this area about 16 years ago...been to Disneyland three times since I moved here.

Tend to agree with Chundles, LA sucks for tourists. The beach is cool, but the sand and water probably look piss poor to an Aussie. Museums, San Francisco and New York have better. No great parks like San Fran or NYC either (well one, but it sucks in comparison). San Diego is a little sleepier, but prettier. You could seriously do the highlights of LA in one or two days if you leave out Disneyland and other Theme Parks. I'd recommend at least four days in San Fran and probably 5 or 6 in New York...there is really so much to see in those cities you could probably spend two weeks in one city and not get bored.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

omg, it was almost 90°F here the other day. such strange weather southern california's been getting lately. i guess it isn't so strange; it is southern california.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.