Vista? An imitation of OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macintoshxiii, Feb 11, 2007.

1. macintoshxiii macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

Recently Vista newly launch in my country (Singapore), and I have been thinking before the launch... why vista? I've collected a copy of brochure and the main cover says,:" Stunning, Simple, Secure," but the question is... how Stunning can it be? How Simple? And most of all... how simple? Stunning as in they have all the brand new interface that look Mac liked? Simple? Windows had never been simple... all the drivers and etc needed. And secure? I was really in doubt... maybe reduce in old viruses but bound to have new bug for them! The features are so mac-liked and I don't see what's so great bout that... I would really take my hat off vista IF they had their unique design for their interface etc. unforatunately not what they have for now.... it's making feeling awkward and bad.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You're exactly right, and I emboldened 'simple' when you meant 'secure'

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I actually haven't used Vista yet, but it seems to me that MS had no choice but to follow in OS X's footsteps. They wanted to improve Vista right? In that case they were going to have to start moving in the direction that the Mac is going.

4. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

Improvision and upgrading is a good thing BUT at least have some sense of originality? As in come up with your own design, concepts isn't it? Let take ipod for example.... it's an awesome design and it rules the music industry! And now iPhone is coming up... it certainly has the power and I really mean power to overcome all cell phone at least for a year or 2! And their technology has been comfirmed by Jobs himself that will be ahead than any cell phone for 5 years at least. We gotta believe that and we are convinced.... it's proven! But Vista...... kinda makes me sick WITHOUT their own identity!

5. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Well then, doesn't that show MS to be who they really are, copiers and posers? Jobs said it best himself when he said that the biggest problem with MS is that they have no taste, and not just in a small way, in a very big way.

6. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

Yea indeed... totally agree.... where did you get that statement from? I would like to view that or maybe a video will be good....

7. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upzKj-1HaKw

8. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

Oh that one.... cool thanks... I guess I have a copy myself in my system. Thanks anyway.... any idea where to source for the entire interview? Or know the name of that interview etc?

9. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I've never seen the entire interview. I remember seeing this part of the interview though in the documentary Triumph of the Nerds.

10. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

please let me know if you ever get to know the source of the full video... thanks for your information.... by the way what mac are you using?

11. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

No problem, I'll keep my eyes open for the source. I'm using a MacBook Pro.

12. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

i see... me using PBG4.... any problems with the new breed?
    As in lagging opening up files etc?

13. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I upgraded from a 12" iBook G4, so going to this was an amazing experience. The most lag I encounter is when opening Dreamweaver, which is running under Rosetta, so it is understandable. Everything else is amazingly fast, especially if I go back to using my old iBook for a little while I can really see the difference.

14. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

I see... so can I say the intel breed are performing good? Hmm... if PPC is faster than the pentium... what bout now? Please read the image file for reference.... that's what I meant! [​IMG]

15. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I really don't know much about the technical workings of processors, but the article is 5 years old, and a lot has changed since then. You also have to realize that all these new chips in all Macs right now are at least dual core. I'm sure that makes a difference.

16. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

Does that means that the rosetta cause the mac to slow down in applications? Overall causes the intel mac to slow down in othewise?

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The chips intel used up to Core Duo sucked...I'd taked take a G5 or AMD chip over a P4..for laptop G4 was get weaker, but still P4 wasn't the best laptop chip.(if IBM had worked on a low heat G5 then maybe we'd still be using PPC)

Over all Intel has come a long way since the times of Apple mocking it, Core Duo and Core Duo 2 are the best chips out there(for there market) and I'm very happy with Intel in Macs

18. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Only with programs meant to run on the G4/G5 platform slow down. A lot of applications are now optimized for the new Intel chips and run very fast. A lot of popular programs like Adobe Photoshop will run slow until they update the next versions to run on the Intel chips.

19. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

i see.... great piece of information here guys! Thanks.... so I can safely go get my imac 24" in that case? Basically i need them to run my design tools, photoshop, flash etc shouldn't be a problem i guess? Perhaps the speed might not be ideal compare running on PPC chips yea?

20. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

If your are using it to make money and for your business, it might not be ideal to upgrade quite yet. Your PowerBook will probably run photoshop and flash just as fast as the new iMac. Of course once they come out with the new versions of flash and photoshop, you will have to pay to upgrade on top of a new computer, which will be expensive.

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Adobe have released a universal (read: fast on intel) CS3 Beta free for those with a valid CS2 Key...